2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble Starting after New Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Sehr916
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Starting after New Plugs and Wires

Hi, I just changed my wires and plugs in my truck. The plugs (from previous owner) that were in there were the Bosch 4 electrode platinum plugs with Mopar wires. I changed to the NGK V-Power plugs with some MSD Super Conductor wires. The truck runs great and has noticeabley more power. The only thing that worries me, is that it takes a while to start now. It takes maybe 1-2 seconds to start. On a similar but different note, do I have to reset the Computer? I unplugged the battery cable while I did this job but was wondering if I have to reset the computer and how I do this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 PM
MikeNAmyS
Professional
Default RE: Trouble Starting after New Plugs and Wires

You didn't need to disconnect the power, but just remove the neg battery cable for a minute or so to reset the computer.
It shouldn't have made a difference in the start time, but I always wait a couple of seconds for the elec fuel pump to do its thing before cranking it over.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:55 AM
silverram99
Captain

I also always wait to start until the fuel pump has time to build some pressure. I would check your fuel pressure, I'm not sure what the pressure should be but I know somebody on here has to know. Weak fuel pressure could cause this problem. By the way how did the cap and rotor look? Don't over look those I replaced the stock set on my truck at 80k and it was amazing the power that brought back and also that the truck even ran with worn parts like that. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

I bought a new cap and rotor right after i finished the plugs and wires (still waiting for it). I just got a Mopar replacement, of course right after I bought it i learned i should have got the brass one. I couldnt get a good look, but most of the terminals looked fine except the terminal where the coil wire connected. It has some white type deposits. It worked fine before the new plugs and wires so I wouldnt think it would be different. Could it be the low resistence from the MSD wires? On another note, how do I build up the pressure in the fuel pump? and once again, why would I have to start doing this all of a sudden after new wires and plugs? Thanks!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 AM
silverram99
Captain

I don't have a straight answer as to why it has started acting up on you. Trucks just tend to do that sort of thing. IN order to build fuel pressure all you should have to do is turn the key to "on" count to like 5 and then crank it. The fuel pump runs whenever you turn the key on so giving it 5 or so seconds should give it plenty of time to build up pressure.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Thanks for the input. As soon as I get the new cap and rotor and get it put on, ill give another update.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting after New Plugs and Wires