2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

thank you!

havin never taken an autoshop class or anything, i need people to dumb it down for me every now and then. thanx.
Did they offer auto shop where you went to school? My high school doesn't offer it, but we have dance classes. How stupid is that? Hopefully the stupid administration at the school will wise up and get some shop classes. Maybe in 4 years when I get back from college I can come teach them.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

im still in high school, and no, we dont have an autoshop. trust me, id be in it haha.

and that link was very helpful, thanx.

o yea and one more question- that quote that shott put in the first post; it concludes that a 180 degree thermostat can improve performance and fuel efficiency, but is that ONLY if you have a high performance computer? or can a t-stat bring benefits even without upgrading the computer?

Old 03-28-2006, 03:14 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i put my 180 degree stat in yesterday.. didnt drain the radiator.. i just pulled the big hose off the radiator.. removed the air filter box.. the alt bracket that holds the filter box too.. unbolted the top bolt of the alternator and loosened the bottom one and swiveled it out of the way (towards the passenger side).. and that gave me enough room to get a extention in there and undo the bolts.. and i kept the hose connected to the t-stat so i can work it out without reaching down there.. and that extra room from moving the alternator out of the way made it easy to get it out even with that tab.. which i grinded off afterwards

Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
silverram99
Captain

I don't know about the computer question, I tow a boat with my truck and I have heard that a Mopar Perf PCM isn't good for towing. I am sure that having the computer upgrade will help but mine is stock and I noticed a mileage imporvement when I installed it.

20dodgeram01 im glad to hear that it all went well.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Alot of chip manufactures recommend the 180* tstat because they advance the timing to the point where you might experience detonation without one. Without a chip/programmer/performance PCM and a 180* thermostat you will make more power, help get rid of ping due to carbon build-up, and potentially keep the stock heads from cracking. I am kind of skeptical on whether or not this improves your mileage. In any case, I presently own five Dodges; 3x318, a 4.7, and a 360. I run 180* stats in all of them.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

im still in high school, and no, we dont have an autoshop. trust me, id be in it haha.
and that link was very helpful, thanx.

o yea and one more question- that quote that shott put in the first post; it concludes that a 180 degree thermostat can improve performance and fuel efficiency, but is that ONLY if you have a high performance computer? or can a t-stat bring benefits even without upgrading the computer?
Not to jack the thread - but muddy blue - you might look into taking some night classes in auto mechanics at a local community college or tech school. Most of those type schools here have an auto shop program, and many of them offer "mini" classes at night for people who just want the mechanical instruction without the schoolwork b.s...... Surely there is something like that in your area.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea, im doin that this summer. my parents wont let me do it during school, think **its too much of a distraction**

Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my highschool only had drafting classes and a "tech" class that covered mostly wood and minor metal work..mainly shapping and milling... no welding or auto...witch sucked...i had to learn everything i know from tinkering with all my cars and hangin out with other gear heads... id love to be able tot ake a few autobody/metal working classes so i can do my own painting and finishing... im all about doing my own work to save money!!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
silverram99
Captain

Yeah I had to learn the same way. Luckily though my uncle owns the local shop in town so I don't have to go to far to learn to work on cars. After about 2 1/2 years (so far) of working there I figured out quite a little bit about cars. The best way is to work on your own and if you have questions don't be afraid to ask. I know the local community college's here offer night classes that are more hands on and less book work. If you are graduating soon though you may just want to go to a college that offers automotive degrees like I will be doing next year.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shott8283

my highschool only had drafting classes and a "tech" class that covered mostly wood and minor metal work..mainly shapping and milling... no welding or auto...witch sucked...i had to learn everything i know from tinkering with all my cars and hangin out with other gear heads... id love to be able tot ake a few autobody/metal working classes so i can do my own painting and finishing... im all about doing my own work to save money!!!!

we had welding but no auto..,. welding class dident help much thow i was alredy working in a fab shop and ended up teaching my teacher more about welding than he tought me about anything else lol

Quick Reply: found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning