2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 AM
inman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with engine codes

I didn't do one after putting the new spring on (late last night). I had one done Monday at the dealership and the 4 cylinder was 115 all others were 150.

After posting that last time I went out and took all the plugs out and did a compression test. Number 4 was 0! I then checked #2 to make sure my gauge was right and got 150. I'm pulling the head in the morning and hope to have it running by Friday.

Note: I'm not that good at diagnosing problems on automobiles, as I don't do it that often, but when pointed in the right direction I can rebuild engines. Most of my work has been on Chevy 3100s and a little with an old Ford in line 6.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:05 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

If the coil wasn't firing it could cause a few misfires on diffrent cyliders. I'd check your fuel presure too.
ORIGINAL: BFG

Dito... check the coil bud.

[sm=exactly.gif]
Just fyi, if the coil wasn't firing, it won't start.

Interested to find out what happened in there, I'm sure you'll let us know inman...everything torqued to proper specs as always??[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 AM
silverram99
Captain

Before you bother to pull the head you should squirt some oil in the cylinder, if compression comes back up then you will know it is a ring problem and not a head problem. If it is rings plan on a motor.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Do you think he'd get 0 if it were rings? I would say to get 0 lbs. the rings would have to be laying in the oil pan. If that's the case, that's where any oil you pour in there is going to go.

I wouldn't rush through to try to get back on the road friday. I would pull both heads and take them to a good machine shop. That's alot of work to have to do it twice.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:25 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

If you need a new motor, i'll buy yours =D (Just a short block, or hell, even bare). I NEED to make a stroker... My brain won't let me do otherwise... ahhh...!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
badram1500
Veteran

I'm betting on a cracked head. Unfortunatly kinda commin on our rams. Good luck with it and post back on your results.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
inman

Finished it up at 11am today.

I tore it down yesterday and found a warped exhaust valve on the #4 cylinder (after the spring broke the valve dropped and hit the piston, 2 little scratches on top of the piston). Everything else looked good. No cracked heads and the pistons looked great. I replaced the valve and cleaned all the mating surfaces very well. My dad came over this morning and helped me set the head and put it back together. After putting everything on but the breather, I hit the ignition one time and the truck fired right up hitting on all 8 cylinders. At that point dad went home and I idled the truck for about 10 minutes. I then changed the oil in it and went for a test drive. The truck is running great and with all my discounts I've got less then $200 in the repair.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

It's rare to break valvetrain stuff and not have the old domino effect. Especially if your running at high rpm's. Since you did not have the head resurfaced, you may want to run it for a couple of hours, let it sit overnight (or cool down all the way) and retorque the bolts. Even if you used a head gasket that stated - no retorquing required

Quick Reply: Help with engine codes