2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Sport Grille and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:21 PM
RPRacing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Sport Grille and bumper

I recently bought a 97 2500 sport. It has been tapped in the front end so i am going to change out the bumper and grille. I would like to go from the painted setup to the chrome setup for the cleaner look it presents.

The question is: Is my 97 sport front end the same as all other 94-01 series except the 99-01 Sports or does mine fall into somee other category? I have searched, I just want to clarify what i've read.

Thank you
-Francisco

Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: 97 Sport Grille and bumper

Francisco,

I can't reliably tell you that you can do the changeover, but I can tell you about the bumper setup on my 98 Ram. The front bumper actually consists of 3 visible pieces. The bumper itself, and both an upper and lower fascia. You can have the plain chrome bumper, but it will look like Doggie Doo Doo with all the holes and stuff showing. The fascias hide alot of sins!

Another option, and probably the most expensive, would be to move over to a custom bumper; the type like a twin tube setup from Smittybilt or something like that. But I don't honestly remember seeing one of those for these Rams. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I don't remember seeing one.

Good luck with the switchover and I'm sure that someone else will chime in on this subject in a little while.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

ok i searched for two months to find a custom two bar bumper, couldn't find a thing on ebay, net, anywhere. i finally went to the junk yard and got a pos tyc replacement bumper for the time being. looks like **** but it works. if you really want to clean it up get something worth the money. don't settle for cheap. my drivers side corner lower fascia pulls out the plug when i drive over 75, which i did for about 600 miles through idaho last week. PITA.

anyway it can be done, just take your time and don't be in a rush to get it done before you lose daylight on a sunday night.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:19 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Crazy Im having that same problem!!!whats with the problem with these trucks and the plugs coming out? I've already went through two sets of (6) plugs. I think i'm gonna have to find some bigger ones to do the trick...

Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

see the plugs are supposed to be fixed to the fascia.. mine were but the little tabs they have to keep them on really suck. and it was brand spankin new. i'm thinkin either a little bolt through the plug or some JB weld.. either would work just look kinda shoddy

Quick Reply: 97 Sport Grille and bumper