2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 01:46 AM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion
Default RE: Tonneau Installed

ORIGINAL: Chopper1

The best part about the one you got is you can lock it. Sounds like a good deal. Good for storing stuff. Plus out of sight most won't take the effort to look.
The lock is pretty useless actually because yes I can lock the cover, but the tailgate doesn't lock. [:@]
Are there any kits out there for a tailgate lock?

I do agree that most people probably won't take the time to look though. It is mainly for putting stuff in while we are out shopping or something like that, but before we get home to unload it. Is also good if the weather goes bad while I got stuff in the bed.
Also hoping it help the mpg's.

Old 04-11-2006 | 11:36 PM
mikecjn
Professional

I have the same cover on my truck and I love it. I used to have the vinyl snap on type and couldn't stand it. Pain in the *** when it was cold to resnap. The Pace Edwards is great.
I also got the lock for my tailgate. Take a look at this link and you will see what they are.
http://www.popandlock.net/

Old 04-12-2006 | 01:00 AM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

Cool, thanks for the link to the lock. Does it really work very well?

Old 04-12-2006 | 03:23 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

i think if i remember correctly it was about 600-800 bucks for the spray in liner.. mine is 1/8 inch thick covering the bed rails, and tailgate cap.

yeah having access to the tie downs is really nice. much more flexibility. even got some hidaway rail hooks.

Old 04-12-2006 | 03:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I looked at those at one point but the one problem you might have (or not) is with the snow in the winter time. how is it going to handle the weight of the snow and once it's melting, where's it going to go?

Old 04-12-2006 | 03:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

That's actually one of the reasons I like the tonneau that fits on the inside of the rails instead of on top. I can still use my bed rail pop-up tiedowns (visible in the pictures). All I need to do is retract the tonneau so I can put stuff in the bed, and use my tie downs just as I used to before I had not tonneau.

Old 04-12-2006 | 04:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

I looked at those at one point but the one problem you might have (or not) is with the snow in the winter time. how is it going to handle the weight of the snow and once it's melting, where's it going to go?
It is made of weather-resistant padded polymer laminated to aluminum panels. These panels can supports a fare amount of weight, more then enough to handle the average snow cover. You just need to brush it off before you retract it. Any material that is on the panels is carried into the canister (like water and residual snow/ice). It will then drip into the bed from the canister. If you want to keep your bed dry, it comes with drain tubes that you can install to let water drain directly from the canister into the factory drain holes in the floor of the bed. I suppose if a very very bad snow is in the forcast, one could just retract it so snow does not build up on it at all.

I washed the truck this weekend, and applied a lot of water pressure to the entire tonneau, including the edges and seems, to see if it leaked into the bed at all. It did not leak at all except by the tailgate, and that is because I have not installed the tailgate weather strip yet.

Old 04-12-2006 | 05:09 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

so it sounds pretty weather tight.

How much does it weigh and did you ever notice any mpg increase with it?

I looked at a snug top (like my 2000) last night and it was banged up a little more than i'd like it to be. plus it was pricey for being used. the fit was great compared to my 2000 cover. it did weigh a ton though, more than the 2000 I think.

Old 04-12-2006 | 05:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

The total package as shipped to my door weighed 78 lbs, and that included the packing material and box.
I have not driven enough to know if my mpg changed.

They sell for $800 new.

Old 04-12-2006 | 07:19 PM
Chopper1
All Star

If it is going to snow that much, I would open it and let the snow add weight to the rear end for traction. It's easier than loading and unloading weight. Thats what I do when I shovel snow. Put it in the truck. When it melts on the road, it melts in the truck...

Quick Reply: Tonneau Installed