2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Non-Dodge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:39 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non-Dodge Problem

I've been having problems with my Cavalier, and since you guys are so good about answering problems I thought I would post this question here, because the only time j-body forum members answer a quesion is if it's about fart cans or wings. Anyway, I've been having problems for the past three or four months with my car stumbling and stuttering in second gear and partially in third gear. Today, it got even worse in that it wanted to die at intersections. I had to keep on the accelerator so it wouldn't die. When I got home, I hooked up the code reader and pulled the following: P0122 and P0502 - TPS low voltage and VSS low voltage. Makes sense as the thing tries to stall and cut out at low idle.

Now, if the sensors are reading low voltage, could it be that the coil pack is going out? I know my system is charging well, but I was wondering if perhaps I have a dirty sensor. I cleared the codes to see what will re-register when I drive the car tomorrow.

Thanks for any and all insight.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Non-Dodge Problem

Sounds like it could be a problem with the TPS. Often a TPS sensor malfunction/issue can cause problems with the VSS/Speed Sensor and cause both codes to be set. That's true on most vehicles, including the Ram [>:]

Old 04-13-2006, 03:02 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

I've replaced a handful of 2.2l Cavalier/Sunfire TPS with both codes and fixed the problem...the TPS loses it's signal to the PCM, causes the engine speed to drop lower than it should be, and say at 50mph, the VSS shows one speed, the rpm shows a different speed than expected and throws the VSS code...99% on the TPS.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

I would say TPS...

What J body forum were you on? Jbody.org ?

Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fiveliterbtr

I've replaced a handful of 2.2l Cavalier/Sunfire TPS with both codes and fixed the problem...the TPS loses it's signal to the PCM, causes the engine speed to drop lower than it should be, and say at 50mph, the VSS shows one speed, the rpm shows a different speed than expected and throws the VSS code...99% on the TPS.
As it got to the cutting out at intersections yesterday, it hit me that it could have been the TPS. I have seen that the VSS is a problem with the Ram. I also understand that the two are "interrelated", with the TPS causes a subsequent code issue with the VSS.

ORIGINAL: JustinJohnson86

I would say TPS...

What J body forum were you on? Jbody.org ?
Yes, www.j-body.org. I posted in the Maintenence forum under the ID Cavy-Blazer. I no longer have the S10 Blazer.

Thanks a lot, gentlemen!

Quick Reply: Non-Dodge Problem