2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:14 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Clunk?

Tranny mount is fine, I checked that with the U-joints. And It only does it when i'm going from drive to netural to reverse from a full stop. I heard about the thing with the park where the fluid doesnt flow through. I'm getting kinda worried, because i never noticed it before, and last night I was trying to downshift into second gear at 40 MPH because i was pissed at the jerk to cut me off and i wanted to let him know, however I goofed up and threw it in 1st =( =( =( ... needless to say it took like a split second to throw it in neutral, and didnt realize i still had the foot on the gas =(

Old 04-14-2006, 01:37 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Hey i have the same problem with my truck. I took it to my mechanic becuz it wasnt the u joint. Found out its slippage in my gears.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:55 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

If you take the pan off and look towards the front of the tranny, there is a big *** looking torque converter thing. This is called the drum and is what is making the noise of which you are speaking. The noise comes from the spline and spirals outward into the drum. You probably notice it more in the morning when your idle rpms are high and your t fluid is cold. It is normal for any of the trannys with an od box on the back end. If you go on a nice long drive(more than a mile to the local convenient store), stop for a cup of coffee or to relieve yourself a couple hundered miles out, and it still clunks you may have a problem.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
coonass

I'm having the same problem but with an 06 ram 1500 big horn with only 1500 miles on an auto tranny. I just noticed it today, wasn't doing it before. The engine was not cold as i just came home from work. I also noticed that from 4th to 5th the gears drag (the RPMs get really high before shifting into 5th. This is a BRAND NEW truck, I should not be having these problems, this is my first dodge and already im thinking i should have trusted my gut and not have bought it, knowing dodge's rap of horrible, short life span trannies. PLEASE HELP me find hope in this truck.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

If that was my 06 dodge it would be back at the dealer quicker than you can say Dodge ram

Old 04-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Mine does this too. Sometimes it is more noticable. When new I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Didn't like the answer, but it hasn't caused any problems. The rear differential clunking..

Quick Reply: Transmission Clunk?