2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:39 AM
NyRangers88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid

Need to replace tranny fluid soon...how do i do it?!?

Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 AM
citygasdude
Rookie
Default RE: Tranny Fluid

Jiffy lube? lol, well if you dont mind a mess get yourself a big drain pan and start taking out the pan bolts a little at a time. plan on which end you want to have come off first and make sure that you leave some bolts in on the opposite side that you want to drop down and only come down with those about a 1/4 inch or so and then you will need to take a flat tip screw driver and gently tap it inbetween the pan and gasket to get it to drop down, make sure you are well to the side when you do this!!!!! step as it will look like a small waterfall coming out of your pan. thats the hardest part. make sure, make sure, make sure all the old gasket gets cleaned off or you will have leaks after you put on the new gasket and install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31643/6EAF732A13CD46D29961ABF77E417CE5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Aaronon38s
Rookie

Auto or manual?

Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
NyRangers88

ORIGINAL: Aaronon38s

Auto or manual?
Auto

Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
citygasdude
Rookie

I just figured you had an auto, oh by the way if your fluid is old and brown I would really consider Jiffy Lube, because that stuff smells to high heaven and the odor is hard to wash off!!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

do not take it to Jiffy lube! They will put dextron fluid in it.

if your truck is a 98 or lower it takes ATF+3 if its 99-01 it takes ATF+4 (dealer only).

how many miles are on the truck? has the fluid ever been changed?

you should also do a filter change and band adjustment(which I wouldnt suggest unless you are good with tools).

Old 04-18-2006, 06:53 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT
if your truck is a 98 or lower it takes ATF+3 if its 99-01 it takes ATF+4 (dealer only).
Amsoil Synthetic Transmission Fluid can be used in place of ATF+4, as it is fully certified and compliant with Chrysler's specs.

Also, the fluid type isn't split by years...but rather by transmission model. The 46/47RH only require ATF+3, though you can use +4 in them. The 46/47RE are both electronically controlled, and thus allow for more slippage....requiring the higher performance ATF+4 fluid to resist breakdown at the higher temperatures that occur in the units.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Im going to have to disagree with you.

In my 98 I have a 46RE tranny and the truck shipped from the factory with ATF+3. It even says in my owners manual ATF+3.
They didnt start using ATF+4 until 99. Although going to +3 to +4 does no harm and +4 is actually a better fluid. Just way more expensive.

and Amsoil isnt the only company that says it complies with Chryslers specs, Even Dextron says that. But I havent seen any hard specs that indicate a direct cross over to ATF+4

Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

Im going to have to disagree with you.

In my 98 I have a 46RE tranny and the truck shipped from the factory with ATF+3. It even says in my owners manual ATF+3.
They didnt start using ATF+4 until 99. Although going to +3 to +4 does no harm and +4 is actually a better fluid. Just way more expensive.

and Amsoil isnt the only company that says it complies with Chryslers specs, Even Dextron says that. But I havent seen any hard specs that indicate a direct cross over to ATF+4
That's because ATF+4 didn't come out until mid-98. There's a TSB that updates fluid usage recommendations

Also, are you talking about Dexron fluid? Which is GM's own line of fluid. I haven't seen anything anywhere that says Dexron is compatible with ATF +3/4/5, but I have seen several warnings that say not to use it in Chrysler vehicles.

Amsoil definitely is compatible though. I'm not sure what hard specs you're looking for, but I'll bet you can get them from Amsoil.

In fact, they have the specs right on their website: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

My truck is a 98.5 so again Im going to have to disagree with you on the fluid.

Even if I am wrong the chances of the fluid being ATF+4 because of the bulliten are slim to non being that there wasnt a recall or anything making it manditory for the people to get it changed. I call the Dodge dealer as soon as I got my truck and the only Bulliten for my truck was the hood latch.

I have nothing against Amsoil. Ive actually run it in everything I own. But If Chrysler doesnt approve it and no other technical company has done research to prove it than I wont use it.

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid