2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick? (With pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 03:56 PM
Socha_62
|
Record Breaker
Default RE: Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick?

ORIGINAL: Tani1500

I would never consiter and s10. you would be better off trying to wheel a WRX
GOOD IDEA!!! lol

Here are some pics of the Scout, I don't think the rust is as bad as you all think it is, but its deffinitially there And the guy said the engine ran last year when he parked it, so some carb cleaner, starting fluid/gas, a fresh battery and probably full tune up I'm sure it'd run.

Only thing I'd be worried about with a Toy is the prices for lifts and parts.

I'm still very much so keeping my eyes open. Its hard to find Scouts/CJs/Broncos because most of them are sitting behind some rednecks house covered in crap that have been there for years on end Everywhere I go I look behind every house for a possible rig, getting kinda dangerous, I gotta watch the road ha!

About light and short, those rock, why I would go with a CJ decked out if I had a few to pick. WB in the Scout, 118" because its the longer "Traveller" version and thats only 20.4" shorter then one of our shortbox QC trucks, kinda long.. WB on the K5, I beleive its right about 102" whcin't ins't to bad while a CJ7 has a 93.4". The K10 has a 117.5" WB which is kinda long again like the Scout.

I guess if I found a CJ with a V8 in it I would probably ****** it, axles aren't to hard to come by and easy to swap.

Oh yeah and Chopper, what inspection? Gotta love Michigan [sm=happy046.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8718/C9B226D8C39D4332AEDD15F4A7C0BCC5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8718/C60521CD53F443B8BE239612B62CD74F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8718/F67505F2707C453F9798127DD46F37F3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8718/A1662967E6764759B7F5A2F7F1DE07CD.jpg[/IMG]

Look at the last picture, whos sharp *** truck is that in the background?!

Old 04-20-2006 | 05:21 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

K-5...definatly

Old 04-21-2006 | 01:45 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

K-5 all the way
You want to buy mine?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12886/A6DFDD6F542F45FE98BA96FBA8CF610C.gif[/IMG]

Built 350cid with 4" of lift and a freshly rebuilt tranny. Hard and soft top included.

Old 04-21-2006 | 02:19 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Chopper1

Jeeps are smaller and easier to get through tight spots. Short wheelbase has less to drag on stuff. Used one for hunting and pulled many off trucks out that were hung up. Down side is the tip factor. Put side bars on it and push it back over.

Scouts are good, but trying to get parts and keep reliable is a PITA. Early Bronco's are made of gold to anyone selling them. If you could run across an old jeepster would be great, but not many around. Had V6's and would climp an almost straight up hill with 6 people in it. Done it.

Blazer or Bronco would be easy to get parts for, work on, etc. Still has short wheel base and room to put stuff. Just be tight on some of the narrow trails. As far as taking the top off while 4 wheeling. Leave your windows down in your truck and multiply the mud on you, window track and the dash, you get the idea.

Basically light, short wheel base, easy to get parts and work on, will help. Rust around the wheelwells shouldn't hurt to much, good chance they will get trimmed for tire clearance anyway. Unless you trailer it you will need something that is in decent enough shape to keep inspected. Brings out another point. If it is over 25 years old, around here you can get an antique plate and not have to inspect it, and insurance is cheap on an antique for occassional use.
What he said.

If you want to be the guy that, at the end of the day:
1) keeps the girls from getting muddy
2) doesn't get stuck
3) makes it home with said girls

Get the Jeep. It will go easier on your old man too. Most of the essential parts (parts that keep you muddin and ****in) can be aquired easily and relatively cheaply.

I got astericked again. How bout niddum dna nikcuf

Old 04-21-2006 | 02:41 AM
justalookin
Rookie

Socha_62,

When it comes to off roading the blazer would be the best in my opinion. I used to have a blazer that I took to hell and back with me. I never had any major problems. The main thing you will have to watch with the blazer is the 700R4 tranny and the 10 bolt rear end. If your not nice to them 700's they have a tendancy to give out on you. Now with the 10 bolt rear end them to have a tendancy if your not nice they will to give out and shear on you. But the benefits to the blazer is they are a HELL of alot cheaper to find parts for. A scout will be hard to find an axle or something like that for or at least in my part of the country. If you do get the blazer I would try and find you a 12 bolt half ton to throw under it. HOPE THIS HELPS JARED

Old 04-21-2006 | 02:54 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

that's a lot of rust around the wheels... makes it easier to fit some big *** tires under there, but still don't know how much under the paint has been rusted out. i don't know scouts but it seems like it might have rusted close to the points where you'd put in the suspension.

K5 all the way.. even though it's a chevy.

wait... jeep go with the jeep. JEEP.

yeah gotta keep those girls happy. what girl wants to ride around in a rust bucket anyway?

Old 04-21-2006 | 04:48 AM
Socha_62
|
Record Breaker

For like the 5th time, If I find a Jeep, I'll consider it They're rare up here, and like I said lots of work to get going! If I could pick anything I wanted right now, probaly a CJ (or maybe a TJ Rubicon haha) The K5 is staring me in the face though.

I'm thinking it'd still be alot easier to find K5 parts too. Hmmm, I'd love to find a Jeep so I could consider it. Any of you around Michigan know of anybody gettingt rid of one for cheap? CHEAP key word. Like <$700, unless its already beefed up, and yes you can easially find them for that!

Heres my scale, the X represents where I want to get a vehicle

Lots of Work,
Little money ---------X----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lots of money, Little Work

Old 04-21-2006 | 10:58 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Here are some pics of the Scout, I don't think the rust is as bad as you all think it is, but its deffinitially there And the guy said the engine ran last year when he parked it, so some carb cleaner, starting fluid/gas, a fresh battery and probably full tune up I'm sure it'd run.
If that is your idea of not bad rust, I'm drinking too much. The second pic has the lower body hanging loose, which is the part next to where it bolts to the frame. Walk away. Hose yourself down and get radiated, don't want to carry any cancer back to your truck. It would be easy to follow you through the trails though, follow the rust and parts trail. Would be like the cartoons. When you hit a bump, instead of mud falling off, it would be body and trim parts.

Personally I don't buy Jap Crap. I like to support American jobs. So CJ7, Blazer, Bronco, or jeep pickup. Saw a couple of each yesterday riding the bike through the county. Spring time is here. Don't help too much from where you are, but just be patient and look around. Thats a sharp Blazer he's selling in CT. Hard and soft top.

Old 04-21-2006 | 11:23 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Thanks Chopper. My brother has a 89 or 86 Jeep with a 305 v8 in it he's selling as well.

I say go for a K-5, I had a 1978 K5 and a this 72 and then a couple S-10 blazers. One thing I got to say is that GM could build trucks back then (I still love my Ram).
LMC truck has everything you need to rebuild the entire truck except for a frame and its not that bad of a price and it keeps you from junkyrad hopping.

Old 04-21-2006 | 11:59 AM
Tani1500
Champion

or you can do what im doing and buy an XJ and put custom long arms on it with some 60's and **** like that. you would be supprised how cheap you can get them damn things. got mine for 100 buxs and still runs fine.

Quick Reply: Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick? (With pics)