2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Axles

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axles

Ok time for another dumb question from me. U-joints are going I figured that out, read hayes manual and it looks prudy simple. Remove the brakes, unbolt axle nut (46 mm or 1 11/16"), three hub-to-knuckle bolts (13mm or 9/16" 12 point) and pull off. Now my question is do I HAVE to take the axle out? If I have a press then I should not have to, I just don't want to ruin my seals. Know I don't have a torque wrench that goes to 175 ft lbs how do I know how much to tighten the nuts? On the big trucks we just tightened it down and then backed it off so it spun freely and the tightened it to the next cotter pin hole. Would this work on the ram?

Now to grease or not to grease that is my next question. Greaseable or not, are there different type of bearings in them now? I have done driveshafts and know about those friggin needle bearings and thought I read some where there is a new type out there.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front Axles

You dont have to take the axle nut off. you can leave it on and just unbolt the 3 wheel bearing bolts. and yes you do have to take it out.
Otherwise you'll be fighting yourself with the lack of room.
You should be fine with your seals. Ive had my axles out plenty of times and the seals are still good.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front Axles

Another guide...probably better than the Haynes [>:]

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

Go for a greaseable u-joint.

Quick Reply: Front Axles