2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical guys...please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical guys...please help me!

this minor problem is driving me nuts, and i spent 2 hours looking at it today, and i can't figure it out!

i had previously installed a remote start/keyless entry in my truck. the install went fine, but the parking lights didn't flash when i pressed a button. i learned that the ram has a negative-triggered light system, so the company told me i needed to install a relay for the lights to flash. so i did, and the parking lights flashed, and everything worked fine.

ok this part is very odd and i don't get it either, but here it is...
well i took my other car to work one day and left the ram in front of my moms condo....she called me at work, and said my lights were flashing in the ram. i was thinking...uhhh, what the hells up. a few hours later i got out of work and went to the condo, and my lights were still flashing. i open the truck up, and my hazard button was up(hazards were on). i was thinking, what the hell--how could these be on?? i am certain they were not on when i left the truck, and it was locked so no one else could put them on, but the button was indeed up and the lights were flashing.
after i shut them off and gave the truck a quick jump (lights were flashing all day, battery low), my parking lights WOULD NOT flash with the keyless entry!

so today i went through the whole system to see whats going on...and i am baffled. everything checks out as it should. all the wires are still hooked up and functioning correctly, i tested everything with a multimeter, here's what i found: the light output wire from the keyless entry control box puts out about 0.6 volts when the lights should flash. so that box seems to be working fine.
i tried a second relay, same thing. all the wires are hooked up the same way as before... i dont see what has changed.

but, i checked the voltage at the output terminal on the relay...it's not getting anything when the lights hould be flashing. again, the control box is putting out some volts, and the constant power wires are putting out 12.3 volts.
fuses are all good, all the wires have been checked and are good, relay is good.
can anyone shed any light on what could be going on??

Old 04-29-2006, 01:07 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: electrical guys...please help me!

so your saying you came home ... the fourways were flashing... you got into the truck and the fourway/hazard button was in the UP possition?

that button just doesnt jump up by itself.. its mechanical,, needs actuation to operate.. no solenoid that does it

unless i read your post wrong,, i think you just bumped it when you got out last... or someone was in your truck when they shouldnt have been

Old 04-29-2006, 01:13 AM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shott, thats exactly what i was thinking, but neither is the case. i was doing stuff around the truck after i turned it off, and the lights definitely weren't on. and my mom was home that whole day, and my dog goes nuts if anyone comes anywhere near our cars...she would have heard it.

i am thinking maybe the button was stuck in the fully depresed position, and maybe just popped up later after i got out. again, i'm not sure if its related to the parking lights not working with the button now, but it sure is one hell of a coincidence.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:19 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

lol... talk about wierd things happening,,, i installed a remote start in the wifes car ,, that night when we were sleeping i kept seeing this flasshing outside the window,, got up and watched it.. the car was shutting on and off on and off on and off... i just sat there and watched it for like 20 miins.. half asleep i stumble outside in the 10 degree weather with my pajama pants on,, slippers and a carhart with my multimeter ( thinkin i was actually gonna accomplish something lol) thought i shot everything out and everything was assumingly working good... got upstairs.. she dropped her keys on the floor and set some stuff on it and there was a pen wedge into a notebook and perfectly holding down the RS start button

lol

wierd **** happens all the time

just keep an eye on it.. if it keeps doing it.. then id run through that relay wiring and triple check it

Quick Reply: electrical guys...please help me!