2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"failsafe" thermostat...anyone have it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "failsafe" thermostat...anyone have it?

searched and found nothing. went to autozone looking for a 180 t-stat, and they had the "failsafe" one that automatically opens at 260 degrees. so i bought it...anyone have it or no? also, does the alternator need to be removed? im thinkin so...will i get the same results that a normal 180 t-stat will give?

Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran
Default RE: "failsafe" thermostat...anyone have it?

You don't have to remove the alt., but it would make for easier access...see here, this adapter saves alot of time at work... https://dodgeforum.com/fb.asp?m=434089

My understanding of the failsafe t-stat, tho I've never used one, is that it can never stick closed...been the victim of a stuck closed t-stat before, 91 LeSabre, 90 degree weather, and cruising about 75...temp light come on! Alot of people say that t-stats don't/can't stick closed, but it's bs, 1sthand experience. I'd get it, it can't be any worse than a 'normal' t-stat.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Chopper1
All Star

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/tstat.php

They have a few pics. with info. You can work out the hose and tstat housing together. If the heater hose clamp is in the way, which it probably will be, you can push/turn it with a screwdriver without taking it off. Trim off the tab once it's out..... I went with a stant tstat. I prefer to use name brand products. Haven't heard of the one your talking about. Then again, at 260, I'll be shutting it down anyway.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
TPSDODGE
Professional

i used to sell those when i wroked at oreillys and there junk. They will fail with in the first two weeks and you will be stuck with an open dt-stat. save your self the trouble and get a ultra stat from stant. better construction, better part, name brad.

thats the one iam running for two years now and no problems

Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

along wiht hypertech.. they sell a crappy tstat... go to napa... best parts for the price!!!! myself and another member here had a hypertech fail on them.. although ours were stuck open... in the middle of winter .. almost as bad as sticking closed[:@]

Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

Ditto on the Hypertech. Mine failed also. I replaced it with a Stant Superstat and no problems.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional

I bought the same t-stat that you did and I haven't had any problems out of it yet and it has been in there for a good while now. Mine is also fail-safe. When I replaced the t-stat in mine I did have to pull the alt. off because it made everything easier to get to. But its up to you on that one.

Quick Reply: "failsafe" thermostat...anyone have it?