2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TB upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TB upgrade

ORIGINAL: jnellydodge

AAhhhh i gotchya. Thanx for clearing that up.

10-4......So the 52mm for my 5.9???, i do tow from time to time, like hilliad, so will this give us a little extra power if this is added along with a cold air intake???
Yep. The Fastman 52mm for your 5.9 will make a difference. Go to his website and e-mail or call him. Tell him you heard about his tb's on Dodge Forum and he will give you a discount. I think the tb is still $225 when you get the discount. Look at my list of mods in my sig - I am very happy with this setup and the increased performance. The Fastman, Hypertech, and 180 thermostat made the most difference of all.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

10-4......So the 52mm for my 5.9???, i do tow from time to time, like hilliad, so will this give us a little extra power if this is added along with a cold air intake???
Yep. The Fastman 52mm for your 5.9 will make a difference. Go to his website and e-mail or call him. Tell him you heard about his tb's on Dodge Forum and he will give you a discount. I think the tb is still $225 when you get the discount. Look at my list of mods in my sig - I am very happy with this setup and the increased performance. The Fastman, Hypertech, and 180 thermostat made the most difference of all.

Any idea what you are pushing for hp/torque after all of your mods????. Your SIG shows basically everything i have on my TO DO list....

Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

ok i've still been wondering this, does anyone know the size of the stock throttle body? i could go out and measure it but i'm at school and too lazy.

if anyone knows off the top of their head i'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:44 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283
lol, I was wondering if Rom was gonna chime in, he is leading the Anti TB Spacer campaign across the nation lol. Along with them "Tornado" things your saposed to shuv into the intake duct, actually hurts you instead of helping. TB Spacers actually work on carborated engines, not EFI, so I am told.
Actually, I'm just trying to drive all the throttle body spacer companies out of business...so I can introduce my own line or TB spacers to compliment my fuel injector spacers 10 horse PER injector [8D] There will even be a kit to add extra injectors to your motor. Got a 6 cylinder? Want the gas mileage of an 8 cylinder? NO PROBLEM! And the gains are tremendous...15 horse per added injector! [8D]

Spacers are definitely useless on multi-port injected motors. They're not of much use on throttle body injected motors either. Carburated engines are the only ones that benefit from them.

And the Tornado...that thing is just plain junk. [>:]

Old 05-03-2006, 12:51 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

man burning rom you make me laugh so hard sometimes...

Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Any idea what you are pushing for hp/torque after all of your mods????. Your SIG shows basically everything i have on my TO DO list....
All I have is my "butt dyno" which tells me the mods have made a big difference. If I had to guess - I would say I have picked up 25 Hp or so. Hard to tell real numbers without a real dyno comparison though. Might be more. My highway mileage increased about 1.5 mpg - city about .5 to .8mpg after the mods. It won't roast the tires - but that is due to the "torque limiter program" Dodge put in starting I think with 2000 models to reduce wear on their junk 46re trannies. The mods have greatly reduced the number of times the tranny "kicks down" when encountering a small grade on the highway, and the truck is much "snappier" when applying pedal to it.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:30 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The stock Dodge Magnum 5.2/5.9 throttle body is dual 50 mm bores and has a measured flow at standard conditions of about 635 cfm @ 1.5 Hg - but this goes down as the stock air intake and filter is in front of it.

F&B are better than most at posting dyno results and not claiming huge gains:

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/

you can read all about Chrysler's design of this TB at their patent:

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='4,905,647'.WKU.&OS=PN/4,905,647&RS=PN/4,905,647

Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
hilliad
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastman recommends the 50mm for the 5.9 if you are towing alot. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

another thought to add to this is the intake mods... cut the runners down 1", open up the injector bores and clean up the TB opening. your motor will breath really well to 5k rpms...

Old 05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was just gonna say the same thing Steve. With the extra "room" your giving the motor to breath, I bet it would be an awesome result if you cut the runners down.

Quick Reply: TB upgrade