2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge 1500 performance upgrade help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 PM
HillBilly Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge 1500 performance upgrade help needed

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

A few months ago I bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab 5.9 magnum v8, gears 3.93 and I don't know much about upgades for it but I have been slowly learning about them, so I'd like some input and help from you guys. I did put a AirAid cold air intake on it, and have done some research about exhast it's going to get installed this week, I'm going with a single 3 inch with a magnaflow muffler and a 3.5 stainless tip, looked at getting a dual tailpipe setup with the magnaflow 3inch in and 2.5 out, but the muffler guy told me that for performance a sinlge 3inch is a better system, he said dual tail pipes is pretty much for looks only. also I've heard about a throttle body spacer don't know anything about them, was going to get a AirAid, is there a better one and is there different sizes for them, also I've seen people here talk about a 180 deg. t-stat. I know that would make it run a little cooler but how does that help performance wise (do you know what the stock one is my guess is a 190 or 195) and then last what about performance chips, would also like to know about them, again these might be dumb questions but I don't really know much yet still learning, so post up your opinions (good or bad)and help me out, I don't do much towing if that makes a difference, just looking for beter fuel mileage and some more power, Thanks for the help again.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2000 Dodge 1500 performance upgrade help needed

STAY AWAY FROM THROTTLE BODY SPACERS! THEY DO NOT WORK!

Stay AWAY from chips. Most of them also do not work. Get a programmer...either Superchips or Hypertech

Stock t-stat is 195. Most go with 180.

Look into an aftermarket throttle body: www.thefastman.com

Can't help you on the exhaust...I don't know much about V8 systems. From what I remember reading though, you shouldn't go over 3" pipe.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

3 inch single or 2.25" dual outs. the 360 v8 needs some back pressure for torque reasons and those flow the same amount of air.

personally i still have stock, but really considering ordering a flowmaster 40 series or magnaflow 3" single out catback system. also some headers (don't know which ones yet) and a magnaflow hiflo cat.

that might happen this summer, but probably not.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

STAY AWAY FROM THROTTLE BODY SPACERS! THEY DO NOT WORK!

Stay AWAY from chips. Most of them also do not work. Get a programmer...either Superchips or Hypertech

Stock t-stat is 195. Most go with 180.

Look into an aftermarket throttle body: www.thefastman.com

Can't help you on the exhaust...I don't know much about V8 systems. From what I remember reading though, you shouldn't go over 3" pipe.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Rom. The 3.5" stainless tip will not hurt you if you run a 2.25" dual setup like mine or the 3" single. Look at my sig for my mod list - I am very pleased so far.......

Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

Take the time and look over my website I have done a few things.

Might give you some ideas.

I plan to do the roller rockers and the fastman TB among others.

http://www.ronbarthelt.com/ram1a.html

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge 1500 performance upgrade help needed