2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:00 PM
ASH
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures

ORIGINAL: shott8283

Just another question. That placement of the temp sensor looks to be on the return line from the cooler. Wouldnt you want it closer the the trans on the supply line so you know waht the temp is of the fluid coming out of the tranny. Just wondering what made you want to place the sensor where it is now.
From what I researched, the hot line goes into the bottom of the radiator, which is the line I tapped into. Also, I did trace the lines. The line that I used goes into the bottom of the radiator. The previous owner spliced into the line coming out the top of the radiator, then connected the tranny cooler and hooked back into the other existing line. After the truck was hot I felt the two lines, I definately got the sensor in the hot line.

I looked into putting the T in the line right where it comes out of the transmission. The line makes an immediate bend around the shift linkage. I decided not to stick the T at this point because I was afraid I would run into interference with the linkage.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
gphilpot

Ash, you read my mind...... Thnx for the info. I just got my '99 Ram2500 V10. It's going to be pulling a 5th wheel. Thnx GP

Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, the line that connects to the bottom of the radiator is the pressure line coming from the transmission. The line coming out the top of the radiator is the return line going back to the transmission, or going to an auxillary cooler if so equiped.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
ASH
Veteran

gphilpot - You're welcome. The job isn't hard, but it took me some time since I didn't have a good guide to go by. So hopefully this helps.

Another thought. I would start the installation at the top. If you use the pillar pod, mark it and drill your holes. Get the plastic pillar started into place on the window frame, but don't snap it into place. Then start running the wires through the hole and down the side of the dash. Make sure you have enough wire to reach all connections before cutting it. Give yourself extra wire at the top, because there is enough room in the pod to double the wire back and stuff it in behind the guage. For the sending unit, you can run that wire through the rubber plug in the firewall. I think this is the opening where the clutch linkage would run if you have a manual tranny. Once your wiring is run, then you can reassemble the plastic pillar shield, pod, and guage.

Thanks Silver_Dodge. You had a good post on this a while back that helped me get started on this project.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Looks like the check valve dissappeared after the second set up. Was at a tranny shop today and the first thing the guy said was to get rid of it.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
alcedo
Rookie

I did this to my 99 1500 4x4 also, complete with pod. It has and I kept the fact aux cooler. I added another cooler in front of the A/C condensor and by passed the factory radiator cooler, seems the in-radiator cooler is just a heat source.
I picked my gauge off the "out " line from the tranny to the coolers, on a 95 degree day I get readings around 180 to 190 in traffic and around 160-170 at 70 down the freeway. Pulling my 5000 lb boat in same heat I get 180 - 190 at 65 down the freeway and it will spike during acceleration from a stop light in traffic to around 210-220 but immedoiatly comes down. I am assuming this spike is from hot oil coming out of the TQ and into the coolers. Don't have a clue what the fluid temp is coming out of the coolers, but it has to be cooler than what is going in.....so, everything should be fine.
I do have a question about this check ball............surely the factory put it there for a reason........what is it and what happens when ya do get rid of it. I think it is to keep the fluid from draining from the TQ overnite. it would be a real bitch if it hangs up !!

Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
ASH
Veteran

alcedo - I think the check valve helps hold the line pressure on the transmission. Sometimes on a cold start, the dodge transmission will take a few seconds to engage due to pressure loss. I know my neighbor has this trouble with his 1984 Ram.

Thanks for posting your temperature readings. I've had to drive my truck to work the last couple of days because my Spirit has a cut front tire. I've noticed something similiar. As soon as you come to a stop and start up again, the temperature spikes. I initially thought this was because the lack of air flow through the cooler resulted in less cooling. Now I think that this is due to oil being trapped in the transmission. Once the tranny downshifts to lower gears, the oil that was sitting in the transmission behind the valves of the lower gears is allowed to circulate. It is at a higher temperature than the oil that was passing through the tranny in the higher gears, since it could not circulate to the cooler.

It's an interesting concept in the debate of where to put the temperature sensor. I still like having it in the cooler line, but I think putting it in one of the test ports is fine. I don't think there is a "best" place to put the sensor. Based on what I have obvserved, I think your transmission oil temperature can vary depending on the oil is in the transmission. So if you have it in one of the test ports, it will be reading close to the average temperature of the transmission. I may be contradicting what I said earlier, but hey, I'm learning as I gain experience.

Somebody in another post put it best. To paraphrase "Find out what your normal operating temperature is, then monitor it. If it goes abnormally high during towing or hard use, then you should be concerned."

Old 05-29-2006, 08:26 AM
attila
Rookie

you could even put a sensor in a test port and switch the readings with a rocker switch so you have test port / oil line temps!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Looks nice. I had thought about doing this 2 yrs ago when I installed my Hayden high performance tranny cooler. I'll have to keep the Summit brand in mind while shopping around when the time comes.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Gmanf
Rookie

I have a 95 2500 with the v-10 auto trans and wanted yall opinion--i checked my truck and the trans lines go to the radiator and then to another cooler in front of the rad. Do yall think this is enough cooler? I pull my boat (around 3200lb fully equiped) as far as 500 miles at a time.

Quick Reply: Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures