2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
ASH
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500

The truck is shifting ok. I just adjusted the TV cable to get it to kick down a little quicker, but I don't think that is related. Symptoms are the brake and abs light are on and the speedometer doesn't work below 20 mph. It sounds like what you wrote in your first post. I'll stop by Advanced today to return the other sensor and see if they can get the rear speed sensor. If not, I'll pick it up at the dealership.

I'm not sure about unplugging the other sensors to test if it won't shift. Since shifting doesn't seem to be the problem, I don't think I'll go through that testing. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
01RamSport

I am having a similar problem I think, my abs doesnt work, but the light isnt on. I dont know whats up with that, and my tranny is shifting ok most of the time, but I notice sometimes it shifts, then down shifts really fast sorta like a pulsing then stays in gear could that be the same sensor problem?

Old 06-05-2006, 04:28 PM
RedMagnum

Looks like I may be confusing some folks so here is a summary and for pictures see earlier posts.

Engine light only came on after pushing it hard on the interstate and was preceded by ABS and Brake light illumination. I used my Hypertech Programmer to find the DTC code to be p0500, which is a bad speed sensor. Only problem is this truck has TWO! So now I needed to find which sensor was faulty.

First test - unplug rear sensor (on top of rear diff), clear DTC code, and test drive. RESULT: ABS, Brake light remain lit and Check Engine light with DTC code p0500 returned.

Second test - plug rear sensor back in now unplug front (transmission) sensor. RESULT: Truck will no longer shift. This tells me the front tranny sensor is working and the rear is the culprit.

Dealership was very helpful and stated the rear speed sensor failing is a common problem amoung Rams and Durangos 98-01. A buddy at work had the same symptoms and sensor failure on his Durango. The dealership was the only shop I could find that had the correct sensor for the rear diff.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
ASH
Veteran

Thanks RedMagnum, that is a better description. Hopefully I'll be able to get the speed sensor for the rear differential and install it tonight.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
DAB
Default Speed sensor

What causes speed sensor to go out I have replaced 3 in the last 4 months owend the truck for 2 years
98 1500 ram 5.9 4x4

Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Skab
Rookie

If this is same type that we have in our heavy equipment failure is usually caused by something striking the sensor. If your having to replace it often the question I'ld ask is did you loose a washer/spacer when you replaced the first one so that it's being contacted by the shaft? do you have something floating around in your diff that's occasionaly being thown up and hitting the sensor? From personal experience with mag sensors even a light tap can screw em up. Otherwise a voltage spike could cause a problem also.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500