2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stall out when I press on Gas-Hard to Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 AM
rpowers301
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall out when I press on Gas-Hard to Start

Hey, I own a 1999 Dodge 1500 Ram Pickup 5.9l. Check engine light's been on for a while. However, has run fine, so ignored it. Just recently, after taking it through a back road trail, had serious trouble. Wouldn't start. When trying to start, blows white smoke out through the air filter. Finally got it to start to bring it home. If I keep the gas steady, it rides. If put pressure to the gas, it misses and wants to bog down and even die out. Now, it's sitting in my drive way and won't start again. When I try to start, it turns over and over and some white smoke blows out the air filter. Fuel Pump? Just replaced the oxygen sensor recently. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am ready to go fishing, please help!

Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Sehr916
Veteran
Default RE: Stall out when I press on Gas-Hard to Start

Not sure what it is, but you shouldn't ignore the cel in the future. On my ram you can check the codes buy turning the key to the on position three times and it shows you on the odometer.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:10 AM
tireman_steve
Rookie

well lets start simple when you try to start it does it fire at all and miss then blow the smoke or just blow the smoke i know a lot of times that happens is when the timing is off or have the wrong firing order but for newer trucks i dont belive you can adust timing its all done electriconically, which leads me to belive if you took it through some rough stuff it could be electical, i would definity check to see if anything is broke or anywire broke off, theres so many possabilities it sounds tough good look ill try to help

Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 AM
rpowers301

It does turn over and miss a little but barely and after you lay on the ignition for quite some time.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

How many mile on it?could be your timming chain.I would the the codes first though.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:31 AM
rpowers301

Thank everyone for their help. I did rent a diagnosting computer. All it told me was that 4 different cylinders were misfiring and a speed sensor was bad (which it has been saying the speed sensor was bad for years). Any ideas? Sounds like this leaves it quite wide open? Obvious the cylinders are misfiring b/c it won't start.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:06 AM
tako3131

I just had the same problem. To get it to start use a booster pack to jump the battery I know it will crank over just jump it anyway. I got the same code as you . Next replace the coil up front.

Quick Reply: Stall out when I press on Gas-Hard to Start