2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old Ford guy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Mike Roma
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Ford guy...

Hi, all!
I've owned only Ford trucks over the years, but I really like the 2nd Gen Rams. I'm probably going to get one, and I'd like to find out more about them here, first. I have been lurking, and searching, but I do have questions.

Please don't bash the Fords too much... I still like Fords, especially Mustangs! I just don't care for the styling of the later trucks, and I want a "quad cab".

Anyway, I'm in South Florida, and will be shopping for a quad cab (3 door, or 4 door?), most likely with an 8' bed, and a V-8 (360).

Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Default RE: Old Ford guy...

Welcome to the site.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum! Enjoy the site!

Dusty

Old 06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Mike Roma

Hi, all!
I've owned only Ford trucks over the years, but I really like the 2nd Gen Rams. I'm probably going to get one, and I'd like to find out more about them here, first. I have been lurking, and searching, but I do have questions.

Please don't bash the Fords too much... I still like Fords, especially Mustangs! I just don't care for the styling of the later trucks, and I want a "quad cab".

Anyway, I'm in South Florida, and will be shopping for a quad cab (3 door, or 4 door?), most likely with an 8' bed, and a V-8 (360).

Mike
There's nothing wrong with Fords....they just arent Dodge's That being said, they used to have some good trucks/cars back in the day. I'm still partial to the 52-54 shortbed pickups.

They dont make a true quad cab 2nd Gen Ram....so that will probably throw a wrench in your idea. You also wont find any quad cab with an 8' bed unless its a 2500/3500 and most likely a diesel.

Honestly, your best bet is a 3rd gen...as it did come with the Hemi and is either a Reg Cab or a Quad Cab only. The 2nd Gen Ram's were pretty common with the 5.2L motor, but you'll be hard pressed to find a 5.9L with low miles....that hasnt been beat up.

If your serious about a Ram, I'd seriously look diesel, not because I love CTD's....well I do...but because your going to get the best mileage and most power out of the motor. Since you want a 8' bed, its obvious you want something for a work horse...not just a driveway queen.

Edit: They do make a 4dr 2nd Gen Ram, but it is not a true quad cab...its basically a club cab with 4drs...

Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
ASH
Veteran

I had a 92 Ford F-150 extended cab short bed with the 351 engine. It was a decent truck and met my needs, except for the short bed. I replaced it in December 2005 with my 99 Ram (see signature below). Let me tell you, I don't miss the old Ford. The Dodge is extended cab with the rear opening doors. I have two children in car seats and it is so much easier for them to get in and out. The extended cab is fine for kids, but an adult is a little cramped for leg room in the rear. However, it isn't that big of a problem. If we have my in-laws with us, my wife will go in the rear with the kids since she is the smallest adult of the group. She doesn't mind riding back there, as long as it isn't an 8 hour trip. So the extended cabs are fine for smaller people, but it may not fit your needs.

The 8 foot box is great. We do a lot of camping and set up at craft shows. The extra length of the box is wonderful. I have a cap on the truck (had one on the Ford also) so I can pile things up high in the bed. But it is much easier to pack the larger box with the extra length. It takes a lot less organization and sorting to get everything in the truck.

For performance, the Dodge wins hands down. I have the 360 in the Dodge with 3.55 gears and 4 speed O/D tranny, the Ford had the 351 with 3.55 rears and E4OD tranny. Both were 4x4. But the Dodge will outrun the Ford anyday. The torque is much better. The Ford was just dead at low rpms. It was good on the top end, but I was never impressed with the power when hauling a load or pulling my pop-up camper. The Dodge hauls my camper around almost like it isn't back there. I usually run with the O/D off with the camper. It rarely has to drop into second except for steep hills. The Ford was always looking for more go-juice and gears on the hills.

The ride is also much better in the Dodge. Granted, it is 7 years newer and vehicles have improved over the years.

So my experience in switching from Ford to Dodge was a good one. Look around the site and learn what you can about the different years. Remember, like on the Ford forums, most guys come here to find out about problems with the trucks, so a lot of the posts seem negative. The good stuff doesn't always get touted. If you become a Dodge owner, be proud of it. They are good trucks.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:21 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Since you seem like such a polite individual, I will not comment on the ford thing . When I bought mine last September the dealer said that they did make some QC's with an 8' bed. He also laughed and said "don't even try parking one of those things at the mall". Reject was right about the QC part. I have no problems with three children, two medium sized adults, or one large adult, but it's not as roomy as most QC's. I did find 10 or so (IIRC) 5.9's w/ less than 50k on them in my area (within 100 miles). To compensate for the 6' bed, I installed a Trac Rac that will allow me to carry any size ladder, plywood, sheetrock, etc. with the tailgate up. The rack will slide together up behind the cab, or completely off when not in use. It has inner tracks that you can mount a toolbox on, and easily slide it on and off the truck as well. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I am using the wrong term, "quad cab". I want an extended cab, with the small doors in back that open. No outside handles on the back doors. Not a four door like the Ford "Crew Cab". Is Quad Cab the right term for that? I thought those were fairly common, '98-'01. I won't carry any passengers in the back of the extended cab. It will be used to hold tools. I'll probably remove the back seat, too. That's why I want the opening doors, so I can access my tools. More tools will go in the bed, and I'm thinking of making some kind of removable rack like Mopower suggested. This will be my only vehicle, and I don't want it to always look like a work truck.

I'm thinking about getting a short bed now, too. The long bed would be better for hauling my tools, and materials. But, parking/turning ease is a concern, and the short beds look better. I did have an old F150 with an extended cab and 8' bed. It was somewhat difficult to park, and make u-turns.

Well, I'm off to do more research/searching. I have time, and don't want to rush into a truck purchase.

Quick Reply: Old Ford guy...