2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey new here,Not new to forums.Bought a 96 1500 Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey new here,Not new to forums.Bought a 96 1500 Today

Hey everyone.I have a heavily modified Jeep XJ and I know how to turn a wrench for the most part.I have been reading page after page of threads in this section.Very informative and very good info.I bought a 96 1500 Today.5.2 Auto.I knew before I bought it about trans issues on these trucks but I liked them so much I bought it regardless.Besides any car can have trans issues its all about Maintanence.

My questions are this.The truck has 117K on it.2nd owner.He seems to have taken pretty good care of it.Has the rattle from the cat(annoying).I am planning on changing all the fluids.I do not know the history of everything done to it.Only a few items.It runs great.Drives straight etc.I am going to change the fluids in the diffs and Tcase.Im just wondering if I should attempt to change the fluid in the trans or should I leave well enough alone.The fluid is kinda red,Not burnt and I dont see any sludge in it.But it doesnt have that extra nice red color like I would like to see.Should I risk it?Also the Antifreeze definatly needs to be changed.Should I have it flushed or just drain and fill?Any help will do or any other advice I should do to it before I start using it Daily.Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:35 AM
radwebster
Captain
Default RE: Hey new here,Not new to forums.Bought a 96 1500 Today

the rattle in the cat means the honeycomb material inside is breaking and rattling. when enough of it breaks, it totally clogs up the exhaust, and you won't be able to go over 2000 rpm's (ask me how i know...)

also, the backed up exhaust can cause engine damage due to the increased exhaust pressure. it can damage your head gasket or crack a head.

change the cat for a magnaflow high flow replacement. about $150 or so.

for the trans and coolant...hey its your call. if you want to change the fluid go ahead its not going to hurt it. and flush the coolant if it makes you feel better.
my truck has over 160k miles and the trans is fine.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I agree with the rattleing, its the cat. You can take your truck to the dealer and have them run the VIN to see if your under the "extended warrenty" that DC has to do as part of a deal with the EPA. If it is covered they'll do a flow test and since it rattled you should get a free one. So its up to you, a free factory replacement, or spend a little bit of cash and go with the high flow one.

When I got my truck I changed all the fluids, I always think its a good idea.

I would personally flush the coolant. Its as easy as taking off the thermostat housing and thermostat and the lower rad hose and getting a hose and running water through the engine!

If you replace the trans fluid make sure to get a new filter, and I would flip the extra dime for ATF +4, especially if your gonna be towing your XJ.

Oh yeah, [sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Some pics of the XJ would be cool too

Old 06-07-2006, 01:14 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.I did the oil and air filter stuff today.Im going to do the rad flush monday.I was at the dealer today and I do fall under that recall.Friday its getting done.Im trying to figure out how to post pics.I know how on other forums and I have a photobucket account but it doesnt seem to let me here..[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

Figured it out..I love my XJ.Just around 6 inches of lift with the RE Superflex kit and the daystar shackles.Im undecided if I am going to lift the Ram.I doubt it because I use it as my DD.

Quick Reply: Hey new here,Not new to forums.Bought a 96 1500 Today