2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

VALVEBODY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 PM
rockinram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VALVEBODY?

Hey guys. My tranny's been acting kind of sick for the last couple months. Not sure if it might be a valvebody issue or something. But it only acts up when it's cold. It hiccups on the first couple of shifts from 1st to 2nd. Every once it a while it feels like it slips for a second, but all the symtoms seem to be worse under light throttle too. The other gears all shift fine and the O/D and TC lockup fine.
But then after I've driven it for 5-10 minutes it performs perfectly. I can put it to the floor from dead stop, lay rubber and go on up through the gears without a problem.
It was leaking tranny fluid for a a couple weeks, then it stop - the loonger it sat, the more it would leak. But now that's disapeared. I had a tranny flush done and the dealership, they said everything seemed to be fine.
Does anyone have a clue as to what the issue might be?? All the stealerships tell me the same thing - "You probably should get a new tranny, and a new TCC." But I know in some cases thats not needed. So if you guys have any information that might be helpful, I'd appreciate it!! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
rockinram
Default RE: VALVEBODY?

Anybody? Someone must have experience with this.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
operdot

I'm not sure exactly what the cause of the cold issues is but there are ways to find out. First of all when you had the flush done did they drop the oil pan? if they didnt i would stop driving that truck and go buy a new tranny filter and oil pan gasket and this point you want to fill it back with atf and run it till operating temp and then adjust the oil level while the engine is running. It sounds like the dealership wants you to drop the tranny so they can sell ya a new one which is not necessary. Do the filter first see if it improves if not then you can take your valve body appart and clean it. After that you would have to do some pressure testing.

Oh and btw oil leaks dont usually go away on their own chances are the oil level just drops to the point where it doesnt leak anymore.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 PM
rockinram

10-4 Thanks Oper!

Quick Reply: VALVEBODY?