2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEMI HEADS FOR MY 360 MAGNUM

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
ROCKS360
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEMI HEADS FOR MY 360 MAGNUM

I dont think this has been brought up before but here goes.

I have read that alot of folks install R/T heads, or hughes HD's on their motors, obviously yielding significant gains in HP and TQ.

Of all the performance companies out there that make and flow test heads, WHY HASN'T ANYONE MADE A HEMI HEAD FOR THE MAGNUM ENGINES?

It has been 3 years since dodge introduced the HEMI in the RAM pick up, i think.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but it is the cylinder head that makes it a HEMI,.... right?

I think it would be bad @ss to make my 5.9 Magnum into a HEMI. And of course, said company would offer custom flash of my PCM (required) to make it work.

And while were on the topic of custom flashes.
Of all the programers, and custom flashes offering performance over stock.
WHAT ABOUT AN ECONOMY FLASH? (perhaps to combat rising prices @ the pump)
I'm sure that the "Death Flash" that most of us already have was the most economic back when.

But how about this MDS that is offerd now. Is it possible to flash my PCM with MDS, or even a piggy pack module that read the TPS, then could adjust the spray patern on 1, 2, 3 or 4 of my injectors. --------------There has got to be a way to do it-------.

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE MEMBERS OPINIONS AND COMMENTS.
AS WELL AS ANY INFORMATION FROM THE A.S.E TYPES AND THOSE OF THE PERFORMANCE COMPANIES.

This is becoming a long post and now my son is bugging me to go for a run.
Sure this sounds like griping, but i think more could be offerd to the 2G ram owners like me.

outy

Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: HEMI HEADS FOR MY 360 MAGNUM

ORIGINAL: ROCKS360
But how about this MDS that is offerd now. Is it possible to flash my PCM with MDS, or even a piggy pack module that read the TPS, then could adjust the spray patern on 1, 2, 3 or 4 of my injectors. --------------There has got to be a way to do it-------.
No...MDS is not just computer programming. There are some mechanical parts to the system as well. The block has to have special oil passages in it. When the MDS activiates, oil is sent through those passages and "deactivates" those lifters.

And as far as the HEMI heads for Magnums, I have to guesses. First of all, there is not enough demand for an item like that. It would cost quite a bit of $$$$$ to develop, and therefore would cost quite a bit of money to produce and sell....and lets face it, there aren't a lot of Ram owners willing to pay that money. I say Ram owners, because that leads me to my second guess. The HEMI heads are quite a bit larger in size. They probably wouldn't fit in too many other Magnum powered vehicles without modification. So that cuts down on the customer base right there.

Those are just my guesses. It's something that could certainly be done with enough $$$$$. But with other head alternatives out there, I don't think it will be.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

The only people who benefitted economically from the death flash was DC. It ruins power and mileage. If you have it, any of the programmers and most of the flashes will improve mpg. I believe that, as far as pick-up trucks go, Hemi is a marketing ploy. A 5.7 Hemi makes more power than the 5.9 Magnum, but the gain is all up top where most people seldom or never operate their trucks. As for the track, I have read several articles stating that for, non-blown applications, it is easier to make power with the wedge heads than the dome heads. Which reminds me; I have also read several articles stating that the motor DC is now calling a Hemi is not really a Hemi at all. I don't recall what they were calling the shape, but they said it was not truly hemispherical like the original Hemi's.

This site is not working right now. It says that the site is temporarily unavailable, but, IIRC, they sell a Hemi that will bolt up to a 46re.

http://www.877fullpower.net/pages/21/

The 877-full-power is their #.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopowar
Which reminds me; I have also read several articles stating that the motor DC is now calling a Hemi is not really a Hemi at all. I don't recall what they were calling the shape, but they said it was not truly hemispherical like the original Hemi's.

This site is not working right now. It says that the site is temporarily unavailable, but, IIRC, they sell a Hemi that will bolt up to a 46re.

http://www.877fullpower.net/pages/21/

The 877-full-power is their #.
All the new 5.7 HEMIs should bolt up to a 46RH/RE as they use the same bellhousing pattern as the 318/360s.

And you're right...it's not a true HEMI. [8D]

I've read several articles/pages about it as well. Here's a quote from one of them....

The Hemi design combustion chamber is one of the poorest designs for emissions - why do you think it took so long to get it into production? It almost did not make emissions test requirements even with the modifications. ... Today's Hemi is that (a "Hemi") in name only. [Editor's note: Bob is referring to the head design. It is not a true hemispherical head, but looks vaguely like a hemispherical head with parts filled in.]

Old 06-12-2006, 06:55 PM
556fmj
Professional

To put a hemi head on your 5.9 would be crazy expensive. You would be looking at a long list of custom additions. To get a true "hemi" the valves are directly across from each other (in the direction of flow) with the spark plug in the center. To achieve this you would need to get an elaborate valve train made up, which would probably end up costing you HP and RPM potential in the end, unless you used more exotic material, then it's even more money.
A company called Ardun made a hemi conversion for flatheads in the 40's and 50's, and the cost was astounding. It was roughly the average yearly income for the american working man, so I imagine, even today, you could find someone to make you up some hemi heads for around 40K
A better choice would be to get a crate MPI Hemi from your local dodge dealer for around 6 grand (I think) and bolt it into your truck, if you have to have a hemi, and it comes with a computer and everything, all ready to go. Build mounts, bolt it to your trans, and go nuts!
BUT... the dodge wedge engines (small blocks, B and RB big block engines all qualify as a wedge) have done a signifigant job of closing the efficency gap between hemi and wedge based engines, and the aftermarket has helped a ton (r/t, hughes, edelbrock) for keeping prices down and power up while keeping reliability stellar. My two cents, keep your 5.9 (or even stroke it to a 408) and get a good breathing set of heads to compliment it, and go outrun the 3G's!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
WhiteBuffalo

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Which reminds me; I have also read several articles stating that the motor DC is now calling a Hemi is not really a Hemi at all. I don't recall what they were calling the shape, but they said it was not truly hemispherical like the original Hemi's.

I thought the "Hemi" got it's name from the tuned intakes, that were developed using Hemholtz's formulas for resonance. Was like an 11ft long intake on the original Hemi's back in the 50's, all snaked around under the hood....

But all in agreement, it's not a true hemi.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
ROCKS360
Amateur

-Well thanks to all for the great info. certainly the best option will be a set of heads that will work now, and when i can afford to stroke it out.

-does anyone know if the superchips would still work great after you stroked out?

thanks again

Quick Reply: HEMI HEADS FOR MY 360 MAGNUM