2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Owner Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 AM
chaser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Need Advice

Hey every one i am 17 and soon buying a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and i would like to get some cheap suggestions to enhancing the MPG. I also would like to make my truck sporty, so if any one knows where I can find nice parts for cheap please tell me I make probley 5-600 dollars a month so I dont have a big spending amount considering my MPG is gonna stink compared to my old Pontiac Sunbird lol. Plus insurance is going to be high good thing I got my ticket off my record lol.

Well I appreciate the help and I am very eager to learn more.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: New Owner Need Advice

There aren't really any "cheap" ways to improve your gas mileage that I know of.

Marvel Mystery Oil would be the cheapest thing you could do I guess.

Headers, a fastman throttle body, and a K&N FIPK will all help slightly with your fuel mileage. Smaller tires makes a difference. Driving habbits also make a big difference.

And you're right, your mileage is definitely going to stink compared to a Sunbird. The max a V8 Ram seems to be able to get is around 17mpg HIGHWAY, and very few see that. Average is around 13-15.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
chaser
Rookie

I kinda knew they would not be cheap. i was already planning on getting a K&N filter I am not much o a car guy more electroics lol but I know a few things. I am also wanting to get a nice exhaust somthing thats loud and increases the horsePower a little any seggestions?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:22 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chaser
I kinda knew they would not be cheap. i was already planning on getting a K&N filter I am not much o a car guy more electroics lol but I know a few things. I am also wanting to get a nice exhaust somthing thats loud and increases the horsePower a little any seggestions?
You won't realize much of a gain from just a K&N filter...you need to replace the actual intake with a FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit).

Loud and increasing horsepower don't go together...not without losing torque, and torque is something you WANT to keep. Torque is what made the smokey cloud in my sig My suggestion would be to stick with the stock system and add headers and a different muffler...maybe a flowmaster 40 series (or 10 series if you want REALLY loud). In my opinion, there's no reason to mess with the stock system until your motor is modded. But that's just my opinion, which may be slightly V10 biased. Some of the V8 guys may have a different opinion.

If you read through the 2nd Gen Ram section, you will find TONS of exhaust question threads. It's pretty much the most common question, other than "how big of a tire can I fit" [>:]

Old 06-13-2006, 09:40 PM
chaser
Rookie

Thanks like I said I dont make much a month. The truck I am getting is from my satepdad and I am only paying about $3,000 I am paying the last few payments off thats why its so cheap. The truck is is great shape adn is pretty much 100%stock performance wise. The sound system is 100% non stock all infinity speakers and a Bozooka. I have to replace the windshield adn thast about it there are a few dints but alot of my friends have fathers that are into automobiles one races dragcars. They have all said they will remove dents and re-paint the hole truck for cheap and I have seen all their work and its darn good.

As soon as I get the visual part back to perfect I wasnt to get the performance up. I dont need to go burning tires and what not. I just want it to sound nice and look good, somthing my pontiac wasnt lol.

I am not worried about the MG i know its going to suck I have been around trucks since I was born in Texas.

It is a Sport but are their any good chips I can get to put in? Their is a big truck store about 45mins away and once i get some money I wana go down and check it out.

Also do you know how much Rhino lining is. The truck still has the plastic cover in it and its all warped.

Sry for all the questions but I really do appreciate the help.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chaser
It is a Sport but are their any good chips I can get to put in? Their is a big truck store about 45mins away and once i get some money I wana go down and check it out.

Also do you know how much Rhino lining is. The truck still has the plastic cover in it and its all warped.
Stay away from any sort of "chip". What you'll want to get is a programmer (either a the hypertech brand or the superchips brand). I think they run around $350 or $400ish...and they'll give you a noticeable gain, while any "chip" that you buy won't give you much and the stock computer will eventually "learn" itself around them anyway.

I have rhino lining in my truck, but it came with it so I'm not sure about the price. I think it runs anywhere from $400 - $600 depending on where you have it done. There's also a kit you can buy and do it yourself.

I plan on buying a patch kit soon to fix a few spots on mine. It doesn't seem to hold up real well on the tail gate. It's also very hard on your knees if you ever have to crawl around in the bed of the truck [&:]

Old 06-13-2006, 09:59 PM
chaser
Rookie

What lyner would you suggest? Im 17 my knees can handle lol. I have seen good Rhino linning and then ive seen some bad ones. I think it all depends on who does it and if they do it right.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I'd suggest taking it somewhere where they use authentic Rhino-liner and having them do it. I don't know what places in your area would do that. Around here Toys For Trucks would be the place to take it. Someone that has experience doing it will be able apply it such a way that it will look good when it's done. Someone with experience will also have a much easier time applying it to the top of the bed around the stake pockets, where the quality of finish is most important as far as looks are concerned.

You can find a dealer at Rhino-liner's website: http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/protection/

Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 AM
chaser
Rookie

Allright well thanks for all the help!!

Quick Reply: New Owner Need Advice