2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 2500 V-10

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 PM
bandit1trucking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 2500 V-10

I've got a '96 model 2500 V-10 I bought new. It is a 4X4, with a 5 speed. At about 60,000 miles, one of my guys was driving it, (it was rigged up as a welding truck, so it was kinda heavy, but not overly so), and he shifted from 2nd gear to 3rd, and when he let the clutch out, nothing happened. Everyone I talked to at the time, (this was in December of 1999), said it had to be the main shaft of the transmission, and I'd probably have to just buy a new tranny. So the truck has been sitting at my shop ever since then. Now, I've talked to several people, that think the center probably just broke out of the clutch, which would be an affordable fix (as compared to the tranny), so I'm kind of wondering about that. I've had a couple of the mechanics ask me if the truck had a vibration prior to the breakdown, which they said is a sign of the clutch being cracked. It did have a vibration, but I really attributed that to the 33X12.50X16.5 Super swampers I had on it. But maybe that wasn't what the vibration was.

Anybody ever had an experience like this? It's really a pretty nice truck, and honestly, as high as diesel has gotten, it's really about as affordable to run as my diesels right now just for going to the jobs, and hauling fuel to the equipment. I've had several people ask about buying it like it is, but I paid about $27,000 for it new, and would just as soon fix it and use it as to practically give it away.

Quick Reply: '96 2500 V-10