2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple of questions, P0740

Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default couple of questions, P0740

So I happened to be checking my stored codes today, and noticed that I had the P0740 stored twice. However, the service light was not on. I know what this code is for (torque converter clutch circuit). I read a post from a Mopar tech that said this is a very common code, and it usually means the TCC solenoid and/or sensor are having issues, and replacement of both almost always fixes it. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this code, and how serious it really is since it didn't even turn on my service light. Should I be concerned, or was this a momentary issue. Does the fact that it is in there twice mean the problem comes and goes? Is it possible the problem is no longer present?

Lastly, I have a Mopar Performance PCM ready to install. If I am having torque converter related issues, should I wait on installing that performance pcm?

Thanks all.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: couple of questions, P0740

...bump...

Old 07-11-2006, 02:24 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's a stored code it might not be a problem anymore. there are "ghosts" in every system that pop up everynow and then.

did you reset the computer? i would imagine that if it was stored and not poping up then it probably isn't doing anything right now.

if you do the performance pcm and the code is thrown again.. then i'd say you'd have a problem.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Codes for the transmission don't always activate the CE light. Considering it's a transmission oriented issue, I would recommend replacement of the components in question. Otherwise, you could easily spend a few grand repairing a burnt up transmission.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:15 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

better to be safe than sorry....

i'm changing my position.. i'm with VW on that one..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: couple of questions, P0740