2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
reddodge66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and brake light

I got 1998.5 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel with 133000 miles. on the dash the ABS and brake light came on together. I heard it could be the sencer on top of the rearend. anyone heard of that?

Old 07-12-2006, 04:18 PM
palo35
Default RE: ABS and brake light

Mine was the rear sensor. Some have also had the front sensor go out but the general consensus is the rear one goes out first. My ABS and brake light came on but my speedometer still worked fine. Once I replaced the rear sensor, all was well again.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Is a speed sensor a dealership part or can you get it somewhere else? My ABS and brake lights are on and my speedometer is all out of whack. It's kinda annoying when you're going down the road at 65 and the needle drops down to 45 and then goes up to 75.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
reddodge66

Do you have to recalabrate anything? Also I got the three stage hypertech program in it will that unit tell me which sencor is bad.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a front sensor?

I had my rear sensor go out. No spedo at all, constant ABS light. Tried pulling codes from the system. Nada. I've been working on vehicles since the early `70s and this thing took ME to school. Never had a tranny without a spedo cable on it before. Had to re-educate myself. Took me two weeks to chase that dang thing down ...

... stupid computers. [:@]

Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
palo35

You can only get the speed sensors from the dealer. It cost me like $52.00 and some change. Just make sure you tell them the one for the rear. Took about 10 minutes to change it out. You shouldn't have to recalibrate anything with it. The PCM will recognize it. THe only way to pull a code on the brakes that I know of is too take it too the dealership or another shop that was the correct reader. Your hypertec programmer won't be able to tell you which one it is. Autozone/Pep boys can't do it with their equipment. They can only read 'Check Engine' codes. Not sure if they can read codes for the transmission but I doubt it. The diagnostic from the dealership here was like $98.00 and they wanted another $50.00 bucks to put it in for me. I was like $200.00 plus for a 10 minute job? Not!! The front sensor is on the passenger side wheel housing. It too is real simple to fix. There are numerous threads in the forum about this. In fact, mine should still be out there too. Do a search under my user name or ABS/Brake lights and you should find them with no problem. You can go down to the local library and check out a Haynes manual or download the one on the forum under the merry christmas thread if you need some more information about it. As I said, it took me like 10 minutes to change it out and I have had no problems since. And trust me when I say this, I am very challenged when it comes to fixing my cars. If the rear one doesn't fix it, change the front sensor. If that doesn't work then your ABS sending unit is most likely bad and that thing can run over $400.00 bucks depending on whath the dealership wants for it. The dealer here was asking for $430.00 for the part and an0ther $130.00 to put in for me. Hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: ABS and brake light