2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MSD/Flowmaster install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD/Flowmaster install

Hey guys! I'm home from Iraq and I've done a bunch of the stuff I've rounded up so far. Pics included are of the 3rd Gen 17" rims, the flowmaster, and the MSD 6A and Blaster coil install. I don't have pics of the new stereo deck, subwoofer enclosure, or amps (they arn't that exciting, other than the sub enclosure that takes the place of the center of the bench, and is factory carpeted, looks almost stock).
[IMG]local://upfiles/35830/6DB28098A6CD4BD4BC98CAFA6960B803.jpg[/IMG]

Ok, a few tips I got from installing all of this stuff...

Flowmaster dual kit.
The hardest thing about this kit is removing the stock exhaust, and that really wasn't that bad. I soaked all the clamp nuts and stuff that I was supposed to take off a few hours before disassembly, and everything came off easily. My torch ran out of gas in about 15 seconds (doh!) so I had to just muscle the stock muffler off. Eventually it just popped off. No big deal. The flowmaster kit went in surprisingly well. The only thing I recommend is to move the clamps near the ends of the pipes to avoid crushing the pipes. I did crush the right side muffler outlet a bit, but with a bit of moving and what not, was able to get it clamped up. I am planning on welding all the joints shut. Another bad deal is that the 265/70/16 spare I have will fit in the stock spot, but it doesn't have enough clearance between the exhaust pipe and the tire to be comfortable. I think a 245/70/16 will work fine, stay tuned.
[IMG]local://upfiles/35830/D662E1972BCF4055BAF0A35CB5A4D8D6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35830/1325E79D672A465B9FDA57F89F1887E5.jpg[/IMG]
MSD ignition.
A very easy install. I followed the instructions I found on here, as well as the instructions in the kit (they actually list a 2 pin connector Chrysler in the instructions). It took around an hour and I was working very slow, trying to document everything I was doing. I mounted my 6A box on the heat shield for the FIPK, and mounted the coil on the inner fender. I zip-tied the power wire along the main wire harness on the firewall to the battery, and into the power distribution block near the battery, ahead of the 140A fuse (just incase). This was super easy with the Accel harness, and the MSD coil/box (with the accel harness, you don't need to cut any factory wiring . I just bought dodge wires about 4,000 miles ago, so I'm going to run them for a few months before I pony up the cash for the MSD wires.
[IMG]local://upfiles/35830/B570BA2BA16F4BB091EDBBCD016B762A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35830/5C5C72C2C06F4D1A8811D0C067C33623.jpg[/IMG]
I got a B&M trans cooler that I mounted, but B&M didn't supply the correct hose adapters for the top outlet connector for the factory radiator connector, so I'll post pics of that when I get the correct connectors. I've also got a TCI deep aluminum pan that I'll put on tomorrow, I just need to get some fluid, as well as a trans-go shift kit that will go on at the same time. I also have some Gibson stainless headers that will go on soon, as well as a modified kegger intake with a hughes stage II throttle body. I also tried to put on a set of underdrive pulleys, but the belt I had shipped with it was for a non-A/C truck, and my stock one is about 3-4 inches too long, so I'll get a belt and swap those out, and get some pics. I have a trak-loc for the 9 1/4, but I'm waiting for my 4.10 gears to get here from randy's ring and pinion to put that in.
I was planning on dynoing all of this stuff independantly, but my buddy's dyno broke, and I don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars for a half dozen dyno pulls... and I got a bit impaitent to wait to do a baseline run, but when I get done with this stuff, I'll post some final dyno numbers with a graph in a few weeks. If anyone has questions about this stuff, let me know... I'll try and help all I can.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSD/Flowmaster install

Performance of the two seem to be decent. The mileage is the best though, the tank I just ran through it was up 2.5 MPG. I'm at an even 16 now. Awesome!

Quick Reply: MSD/Flowmaster install