2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hollowed cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
redram95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hollowed cat

my 95 ram 5.2L has had the catalytic converter hollowed out... first i would like to know what the does to the power of the truck? and also i know its normal for it to ting a little... it does sound damn good but their is more rattle than i would expect and im wondering if this is the normal ting and not a loose pipe or something, is there anything i can do the lessen the rattling?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: hollowed cat

removed or gutted cat will eliminate exhaust restriction and usually allow your truck to produce more power. It will also usually cause you to fail an emissions test if you live in a region that requires them. Lastly, if you have an after cat 02 sensor, it might (might - i'm not sure), cause your o2 sensor to sense exhaust too rich, and possibly lean your fuel out a little. If your check engine light is not on, and you don't have to pass emissions, your probably good to go.

I'll go out on a limb and say all this so that someone who knows for sure will feel compelled to correct me. If you don't have to pass emissions testing, there is a kit you can buy for dual exhaust and cat removal that will 'fake' a perfect after cat o2 sensor back to the computer, and stop it from thinking there is a problem.

If its rattling, its probably part of the internal baffle rings that previous owner gouged out with a steel rod or crowbar. You might could open it up on the top and pull the rattling pieces and reweld it up. Or you could replace it with an aftermarket hi-flow cat. Or you could gouge it out more and try to get all the pieces out. Or live with it. Anyone else ?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:00 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what i did and still do to all my cats is take a piece of one inch rebarb and push it throught the cat. this opens up the cat for more of a free flowing exhaust, what you here in the cat is the extra honey combs that have broken off in the past. nothing to worry about. as far as passing emmisions you will not have a problem if the hole is the right size. to big of a hole and it might through a code. they make foulers for the 02 sensors but they are junk. keeping the cat in its place along with the 02 sensor is the best bet. if and when you go through emmissions and you fail the first thing they do is see if you have a cat. if they see no cat big fine!!!!! if there is a cat on the truck then they will have you get it fixed no fine!!!!. go to your local exhaust shop or dealer and have one installeed.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i may or may not have a gutted cat (94 5.9) and it frees up exhaust flow...however, it removes some backpressure, so there may be a bit of low end torque lost, but it flows better on the top end.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 PM
redram95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya actually my truck has the o2 sensor before the cat so no problems there... and theirs no emisions tests where i live... ill look into the rattling this weekend... thanks for the help

Quick Reply: hollowed cat