2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Choppy idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:57 AM
echseman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choppy idle

hello, i have a 1998 ram 1500 sport, 5.9. today my check engine light came on, and the truck idles a little choppy. the engine shakes a little too much in idle too. i checked my TB and my h-bore spacer, all is well. i guess the next thing would be the plugs? i have a feeling i am not running on all 8. any help is much appreciated! thanks.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Choppy idle

Go to Autozone and have your codes checked...find out why the CEL is on

Also...TB spacers are a no no [8D]

Old 07-15-2006, 04:23 PM
echseman
Professional

wow, i had no idea the TB spacer was bad for an efi engine. thanks! that's deffinetly coming of the truck this morning!

Old 07-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you suspect that your truck is not firing on all 8-cylinders, check the injectors. A simple test is to start the truck and let it idle. Then, unplug an injector and listen for a change in idle. If there is a change, then you know the injector is firing. If there is no change, either the injector does not work, or it is plugged on the inlet side. Three of my injectors were plugged on my truck. Several people here have stated that #6 and #8 tend to get plugged.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
echseman
Professional

thanks a lot, i will try that. i just replaced all 8 plugs, and it looks like the old plugs have been in there for a verrrrry long time. next is the injectors. thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 AM
echseman
Professional

I put STP fuel injector cleaner in my gas. the CEL didn't come on until that same tank of gas was about 1/2 tank. i just got back from Autozone, and i fixed it on the way. after i read my codes, (cylinder 5 misfire detected), i had to make a realy tight u-turn out of autozone. instead of making it a 3 point u turn, i gave it about 1/2 throttle and spun the back of the truck around. after that, i have noticed all the cylinders are working fine, and no clogged injectors. i know it's a really horrible way to fix the problem, but now the computer says it's good - to - go.

Quick Reply: Choppy idle