2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running rich? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
magnum318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich? Maybe?

Well I ask casue while I was hooking up the boat trailer and the truck was running it made my eyes burn a bit. I would assume it is rich, I may be wrong and this is normal.

I'm not getting any CE light and the light came on once a while back and went off too never come on again since. If it was an O2 sensor it would throw a permanent code rite?
Also, in the A.M. when I start it to go to work it takes a few cranks to fire up and a second too straiten out and idle smoothly.
I put new plugs in it yesterday but Twilight Zone messed up, gave me 1 box of Autolite platnums and one box of Double platnums. I wanted NGK but they don't sell them, I'm gonna stick with Advance...............

Old 07-15-2006, 12:57 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Running rich? Maybe?

a slow o2 sensor may cause a rich condition. it also wont throw a code. what you can do is go to the autoparts store and get a can of electronic parts cleaner and pull the o2 sensor and clean it real well. spray the insides of it thru the openings where the exhaust stream flows. let it dry and put it back in. this works pretty well for o2's that have some miles on them. if you do this every 15~20k it may extend the life of the sensor.

Autolite 3923's are also a good way to go... tests have shown a 5 hp gain by using std 3923's (non-platnum versions).

Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
magnum318
Rookie

I checked the codes anyways. I got 12, 37, and 32
12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles. Haven't had the truck this long. Maybe the carlot when the battery was changed?

37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure. Don't sound good?

32 EGR system failure. I got the idea here, maybe the rich idea I had?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

your egr may be stickey or plugged up, I havent had one in so long I couldnt tell you how to deal with it... one thing I do remember is there is a valve that opens and closes, maybe under vacuum control... you can put a vacuum pump on it and see if the valve moves ok.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 PM
magnum318
Rookie

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

your egr may be stickey or plugged up, I havent had one in so long I couldnt tell you how to deal with it... one thing I do remember is there is a valve that opens and closes, maybe under vacuum control... you can put a vacuum pump on it and see if the valve moves ok.
Ok, I'll check it. I have a vacume gauge and I think all you do is hook it up in line with the egr and watch for a change in vacuum, if none it is stuck I think. I'll make sure it's getting vacuum to it also.
The EGR doesn't bother me as bad as the 37 code but I searched and came up with a common problem as beeing the tranny temp sensor but I don't know if it applies for a 94. The tranny doesn't rev up and down while driveing?

NOTE #1 - From the 1995 TRUCK (Ram) manuals: the trailer towing package includes a transmission coolant temp sensor while the standard package doesn't. The fault code detection system is probably the same for both models. This could cause the low (no) voltage indication....no sensor to send any voltage.
"Maybe?" So I may overlook this one.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM
magnum318
Rookie

I don't think my truck has the towing package so if this is the same for a 94 then it is something to just over look as the truck doesn't have a temp sensor and will throw the code and the tranny seems to be doing fine.
Everything I have seen basically says the code 12 and 37 isn't anything to worry over as long as the converter isn't locking and unlocking while driveing along. I hope i'm rite assuming this, so the only real code to mess with is the EGR. I'm going to put one one it and see if it straitens it out.

Quick Reply: Running rich? Maybe?