2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced wires now wont start - whats up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:04 AM
rammed hard
Default Replaced wires now wont start - whats up

After checking out all the input on plugs and wires I finally decided to stick with what works and went to the dealer for a replacement set of wires. Then replaced them one by one as to not screw things up , only problem is the truck wont start . It cranks and thats it. Feeling kind of like a dumbass.Any help

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:07 AM
radwebster
Captain
Default RE: Replaced wires now wont start - whats up

did you replace the coil wire? bet ya it's not seated all the way, or its not on.

or, check to make sure the coil wire is going to the center hole on the distributor.

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:45 AM
rammed hard

Wire set doesn't come with coil wire . And all was snugged up good . After the truck wouldn't start I then put the old wires back on since they were were o.k. .But just my luck the truck was messing with my head.no start .Kind of figured I disconnected some dumbass sensor that the factory installs to prevent ordinary folk from working on thier on rigs

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:50 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

did you happen to unplug anything, you know to get a bit of clearence or reroute the wires?

I know its stupid, but have you tried to push all the plug wires on and any sensor plug to make sure its on all the way?

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:53 AM
radwebster
Captain

since the truck ran fine before you changed the wires, and then didn't try to fire at all after you did, it is almost certainly related to the wires. and since the only one wire that, if off or hooked up wrong, would'nt allow the truck to start at all is the coil wire, i'm still betting on that.

an easy check: take a wire (any spack plug wire, even an old one) and run it from the coil to the center disty hole, and see what happens.

Old 07-16-2006 | 04:58 AM
whiteram00
Captain

sounds to me like its the plug wires are bad,you may of also hooked them up wrong,does it even try to fire up?

Old 07-16-2006 | 01:13 PM
Big Black Ram

I would start here: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 after messsing up a few ignition wires myself I now have this burned into my memory. Set #1 piston to tdc verify rotor to cap positon and run your wires out from there. ALSO- if you replaced your distributor cap and rotor, are you sure you installed the rotor (make sure it is not still in the bag on the front seat.) Just checking, good luck. Rich

Old 07-16-2006 | 01:57 PM
rammed hard

This engine is a V-10 with electronic ingnition and the wires are labled . It should have been a no-brainer. I've double checked that all the wires are routed to the correct cylinders. If the new set of wires were bad(which I doubt) would this have possible triggered a problem into the ingnition system. Again after I had the problem with the truck not starting with the new wires I then replaced the old wires back on and the truck still didn't kick,i it cracks but doesn't turn over.

Old 07-16-2006 | 02:07 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Test for spark coming off the wire going from the coil to the distributor.

Old 07-16-2006 | 02:11 PM
Big Black Ram

Ok, that changes things a little. Still sounds like you may have crossed the ignition wires. Double check the firing order 1-10-9-4-3-6-5-8-7-2, also check the connections for the ignition coils. Have you checked for spark, if you have it at the plugs and are sure everything is going where its supposed to be it might be time to check for air and fuel.

Quick Reply: Replaced wires now wont start - whats up