2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inlet Pipe Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
smartobject
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet Pipe Leak

1999 2500 318

Well, I finished the plenum gasket replacement, and I think I upset the small metal pipe that comes out of the top of the water pump. It has an o-ring, I put another o-ring in, but still feels loose, even with the hold-down strap bolted through the accessory bracket.

I put permatex on it, but maybe did not let it "set up" long enough, so I'm getting a dribble / leak there.

What in the world can be done to "seat" this thing? I must have bent it out of shape.

I'm thinking of trying some JB-Weld next.

I saw the post about putting in a '92 model pump, but I'll have to look for one of those later -- taking a trip in a day or two (Lord willing).

Thanks,
Lee

Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
smartobject
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Return -- Was: Inlet Pipe Leak

Sorry for the confusion -- I checked the manual and the proper term was "Coolant Return Tube". $25 in stock at a dealership with the o-ring. No Leaks, no JB Weld.

I don't see how it keeps from leaking, though.

-- Lesson for others: when removing the accessory bracket (alternator / compressor), take the bolt off the hold-down tab of that pipe. Then carefully "twist" the pipe out.

Then you can easily reach the next bolt behind the pipe. Do not try to bend the pipe out of the way ! []

Lee

Oh BTW -- Many thanks to steve00ram360 for taking the time to provide pics of that darn bracket ---however -- I still have one dang bolt left and I can't see where is goes. I looked for diagram / drawing but no luck.

I saw one bolt left on the radiator and thought "oh man I can't see any more holes!" Got the flash light and found one more place needing a bolt. "Whew", I thought, "No left over parts on _this_ job!" Then I turned around and there it was -- one more bolt on the workbench.

Quick Reply: Inlet Pipe Leak