2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

metal fab question for a body lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
sawdust2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal fab question for a body lift

Ok guys, I have to fab a metal drop bracket for my shift linkage. The pivot bar attaches to the body under the drivers side. I'm making a 2 inch PA body lift work with a 2001 1500 2wd. I didn't want the 3 inch so take it easy on the comments like "why didn't you buy the 3 inch that works wiht your year and a auto trans. I really wanted the 2 inch which is for manual only and I talked with PA and they said all I had to do was fab a linkage extension and a drop braket for the pivot rod.

Lucky for me the kit came with a linkage extension anyway but I still need to fab the bracket. My idea was to use sheet metal and either sleeves or good washers to space the lower bolts away to keep the rod aligned. Anyone who has done a body lift on a late 2001 will know what I'm talking about. PA lists this part as a 2002 model but my 01 has it. My idea will work, but I was hoping somebody had something better or could at least tell me what kind a material would be best suited for the job?

The braket is basically a slight z bend of sheet metal. Since I can't bend metal myself I thought I'd put a flat sheet on and space out the lower end with washers or sleeves to achieve the same result. What do you guys think?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Chopper1
All Star
Default RE: metal fab question for a body lift

My 97 has a block with a nut on it to loosen and slide the block that connects the linkage up and down for adjustment.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
sawdust2
Rookie
Default RE: metal fab question for a body lift

Yeah, for the linkage rod. I have the extension for that but the late 2001 models have an additional part that needs to be dropped down. The are 3 bolts holding a pivot arm to the body under the drivers seat. Some of the body lift kits come with a drop braket for this( It's basically sheet metal with a z bend it) You bolt the braket to the original holes in the body and then bolt the pivot bar to the bracket.

I was thinking of just sheet metal and drilling the holes myself at what ever location they need to be at. I'm more of a wood guy so I just want to make sure I use some good metal for this job. Or any better ideas.

Got the borgenson shaft in the mail today, looks like a really nice unit.

Quick Reply: metal fab question for a body lift