2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:45 PM
ARbowhunter7
Default RE: cold air intake

As far as brands go, I emailed one of the guys at KRC performance, which is a leader in modifying these trucks (5.2, 5.9, 5.7, etc) and they said they've tested everything out there and nothing holds a candle to the K&N, especially on these Dodge motors. It's the intake they use during all of their dyno testing. That's proof enough for me. And johnjokela, yeah the intakes do get muddy, but I've figured out a way around this. If you get a K&N, they make optional covers for the filter elements. There's a couple different ones, but the one called a DryCharger was originally developed for marine motors and PWC's like Sea Doo's and Jet Ski's. If you put one of these DryCharger covers on there, it keeps all that mud and dirty water off your filter, and only decreases your airflow less than 1%. It's one of the most useful things I've bought recently.

Old 07-29-2006 | 05:52 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional

go with the k&n, i recently got one, and its great. i have a buddy with a similar truck to mine, and he got the Air raid, and you can definatly tell the k&n flows more air. you do somewhat get what you pay for. the k&n is kept out of the heat by the plasic flange, and the airraid just stays in the engine compartment and pulls warm air = not good!

Old 07-29-2006 | 06:32 PM
bamory
Captain

I modded mine and it works great, i don't know which one pulls more air, i havent measured it lately.

Old 07-29-2006 | 06:44 PM
badram1500
Veteran

Had a n air raid on a CHevy truck (before my Dodge) It was OK but every time I went through a puddle I would suck up water and the engine would cough and sputter. Not really what I was after[>:] The K&N system has a shield and that won't happen.

Old 07-29-2006 | 07:26 PM
bamory
Captain

Sucking up water? How deep was the puddle? I installed mine in a direct feed of cold air, never any problems, just has to be personal preference I guess, I was thinking K&N would get alot of heat off the radiator with the box.

Quick Reply: cold air intake