2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm SOOO screwed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm SOOO screwed

Thanks for all the great advice. So far, all I've been doing is spraying some PB Blaster down the heat shields every morning and every evening. I figure I'll do this until Wednesday, then try the EZ Out technique on the plug and cross my fingers.

If that fails, well, I think it's to the dealer for me. I'd ordinarily put aside a weekend to do it myself, but I have less than no time these days. I buy, renovate and sell houses for a living, and I'm finishing one this week (www.century-partners.com if you live in Cleveland!). I'm also getting ready to sell my domicile because I just bought my dream house with enough land to build a killer garage. So I've got three houses, one that needs about 2 days work, and another that needs at least 3 weeks of work. Then I have to move (including a completely disassembled 1941 Buick) And now the truck is crapped out in a big way. I'm totally tapped out, time-wise, physically and mentally.

But even if I succeed with the spark plug, that's only half the problem--I still have the broken screws in the distributor. I'm thinking I'll try pulling the distributor then either drill them out or just buy a new distributor (recommended sources?). How hard is it to get the distributor out from way back there? And how do you mark something you can't see to make sure it goes back in the same way? And where's the hold down bolt? I'm guessing I'll have to do all this by feel.

Why can't these guys take a lesson from Ford and put the distributor up front where it belongs?

Thanks again, guys. Sorry for the rant.

PS: I got the other cars out. I tore down two sections of my back yard fence and drove down my neighbor's driveway. Add a new fence to the list of things to do to my house before I sell it... Feh.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Matt Harwood
Professional

Well, it's over.

I dug in my heels, bought two screw extractors and had at it. Nothing. The first problem was actually grabbing the screw extractor--you'd think it was the same as a 3/8" drive, but it's not. But a 3/8" extension fit closely enough that it wouldn't turn inside. So I tried a 3/8" wrench on the box end of an extension, but it didn't have enough leverage.

Then I took a 12-point socket that fit over the 3/8" extension, and tried cranking on it with a ratchet.

Then a bigger ratchet.

Then a breaker bar.

Then the socket broke and the corners of the extension rounded off.

So I got the welder out, welded the socket to the extension and tried again. Now the extension spun on the EZ Out, so I pulled it all out and welded it all together. The tool below is basically what I built (though it's important to note that it was NOT bent when I made it--that came later. Oh, and it's also twisted slightly).

So the threads didn't budge a micron. That's it, I'm out. I'm going to call the dealer and ask them the book time for R&R on a set of heads and if they'll let me supply my own parts (new heads and the plenum fix). They should also be able to give me a rough estimate based on hours (but I bet they won't).

If anyone knows a good mechanic in Cleveland who can help me out (or if any of you wants the job), I'm sending it out first thing next week.

Where do I get the right heads and how much do they cost (assume that I need assembled heads)?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

So THIS is what I have to look forward to the next time I want to change my freaking plugs? A new set of HEADS?? [:@]

GREAT!!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:36 AM
556fmj
Professional

you can get the HD heads at www.hughesengines.com They have them in stock and ready to go, although you should note that the part number doesn't include valve springs. You have to re-use your stockers [:'(] or better yet, buy a set of OE ones (if you arn't doing a cam at the same time).

Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
redhotram

I ran into this issue too with a couple of the plugs being very very stuck.. scared the heck out of me so i soaked them 2 weeks trying again every couple days after 2 weeks one came out then a few days later i tried the last plug when the engine was hot form a 30 mile trip and it finally came out (YEEHAW!!) lots of anti-seize on them now! they were NGK v-powers that stuck and I went with Bosch PLat +4 this time

Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: redhotram
I went with Bosch PLat +4 this time
Take them back out and put in some regular Bosh Platinums, Autolite Platinums, or Champion Copper Truck Plugs.

The Bosch +4 plugs are junk

Quick Reply: I'm SOOO screwed