2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

modified kegger/hughes TB install

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modified kegger/hughes TB install

My camera is on the fritz [:'(] so I don't have any pics for this, but it wasn't too bad. I replaced the plenium gasket and plate with a hughes deal about 6 months ago, but got a modified kegger intake from steve00ram on here (thanks again) and actually did a bit more work on it. I gasket matched the intake ports (I know it doesn't do much good since the head ports are small, but it'll match up better with other heads I get later) and added a bit of a reverse teardrop design to unshroud the injectors some. It seems to work a bit better. I changed the throttle body to a hughes stage II (50mm) throttle body at the same time. It seems much more responsive, and the part throttle performance is great. I also ran a can of seafoam into it, and man! What a smoke screen! It seems to idle a bit smoother, and it may be one of the reasons for the part throttle improvement.

Anyway, it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have a torque wrench that goes as low as 11 ft.lbs to do the intake. Otherwise, regular hand tools, and a few beers are all you need. I did mine in just shy of 4 hours. Just be sure to really clean off the mounting side of the intake and head for a good intake gasket seal. I should have replaced my bypass hose while I was in there, but it was about to rain, so I just bolted it up, and I'll change it out sometime soon. Next stop is my buddies hub dyno. I'll let you guys know what kind of improvement I've gotten over stock. I've done everything in my sig except the gears and trak loc (those are next). I'm hoping for somewhere in the 260 HP range (at 5800' elevation), which would be a decent gain from the 245 stock (at sea level).

Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: modified kegger/hughes TB install

what? no pics... I would be interested to see what else you did to it.

what's your mileage change since the upgrade?

How do you like it's performance past 3000? When I had it on my truck it pulled really strong from 2600 well past 5000. One day I did a test on the freeway where i had steady throttle in 3rd and accellerated slowly to bring the rps up slowly to see where and how it performed and the 2600 rpm mark you could feel it push you back slightly in your seat. It was sweet.

I look forward to you dyno #'s...

btw... the crower 1.7's and the 52mm fastman were a sweet upgrade on my 5.9 motor... I highly recommend them. the 50mm may hold you back in the upper rpm range.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: modified kegger/hughes TB install

I heard that the 50mm would be a bit of a choke at the higher RPM's, but it's what I've got for now, so I'll keep it. It needs the timing chain replaced soon, so I'm planning on doing a small cam and the 1.6 HS rockers at that time. Plus, the truck does a bit of towing, so I'm not as concerned with the higher (4K plus) RPMS as much. I just did some port matching 3 inches or so up the ports, and unshrouded the injectors so they spray all the fuel into the port, and not as much into the side of the port. Yeah... no pictures. sorry. Stupid technology! It always gets the best of me. So far the power in the 3-5K range is way better, and the mileage will be a few days yet. I want to run the tank dry. With all the additions, minus the intake and throttle body, the mileage was 16.47, so we'll see if it gets better or worse soon. Anyone in the Denver area is welcome to the dyno day. It's $10 a pull, starts at 8:00 am on the 13th at
TC's Performance, Inc.
5415 W. 59th Ave. Unit G
(off of 60th & Sheridan down the frontage road)
Arvada, CO 80003

I'll have my truck there, although it is mostly an import shop. It'll be interesting to show them what the little "ft-lbs tq" graph looks like... ha ha

Quick Reply: modified kegger/hughes TB install