2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 V10 Tune up question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
pipedreams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 V10 Tune up question

I just did a basic tune up on my V10....spark plugs (badly needed) air filter & oil change...basic. The performance has improved a lot.......however, it still seems to lack the "punch" that it used to have. Zero signs of any compression/valve issues on the plugs. To me, it feels like the timing is off, but I'm under the impression that there is no adjustment for ignition timing on these engines. Is this true? My other thought is that there's a vacuum leak somewhere..........once it gets rolling it has plenty of power, but it takes a lot longer to get into the power band....just kind of boggy from a standing start. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 96 V10 Tune up question

There is no timing adjustment as it uses a DIS that is controlled by the computer.

The timing chain however does wear/stretch over time. Depending on the miles you have on it, it might need replacing.

A vacuum leak is a possibility, but that ususally manifests itself in other ways as well (noise at shut-off, AC vent switching, etc).

Also, I don't know if you ended up changing plug wires or not, but make sure this problem isn't afflicting you: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-16-98.htm

Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 PM
pipedreams
Default RE: 96 V10 Tune up question

Just rolled to 130K. No wire change. Hmmmmmm, I sure don't want to mess with a timing chain change if it's not NEEDED for sure......kind of a big job.

Is there any standard vacuum test points on these engines? Ie: Gauge here should be Xlbs. gauge there Xlbs etc...?

Quick Reply: 96 V10 Tune up question