2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Summit Headers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Headers??

So i am now looking at a set of Headers since the whole deal with the gears fell thru since they were pretty much shot. I saw these, and because of the price I am definatly considering them. I know they arent going to last quite as long as the stainless steel ones or anything, but do you think that i will get the same airflow and performance gains from them or not? do you think its worth the $150 for these, or should i just spend 300 and get some better ones like gibsons? if anyone has tried these, let me know what you think of them!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I also have a flowmaster american thunder dual cat back, with the loud 40 series muffler. how much louder will headers make my truck? If you have headers and cat-back, did you notice a difference when you put the headers on?

thanks for all your help guys

Old 08-13-2006, 05:18 PM
okiemag318
Rookie
Default RE: Summit Headers??

Those are what I put on mine. They did help out on performance, but i don't know how much they added to the exhaust, but I have 10 series single chamber flows, so it was already loud. A lot of people have had problems with welds cracking, but I haven't. I also have a friend that is a mechanic who put them on his ram, he said they really helped out his torque. He put header wrap on them, but we both are planning on taking them off and getting them coated. Mine leak, but thats because I put them on, i've never put headers on before so i didn't know what i was doing. My friend gasket matched them and did a better job and likes them, as do I. I think that they are worth the money. I would suggest getting them coated, since my mechanic buddy, when i asked about some $600 headers, said that I should get these cheap ones and pay to get them coated. So all that to say I like them, and between my friend and I we haven't had any problems with them, although I have heard of other people that have. Sorry so long! Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:23 PM
okiemag318
Rookie

oh, btw, I have put a lot of miles on mine, 10,000 or so miles maybe? not sure exactly, didn't take note of milage when i put them on.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

I have these on my 97 Ram and have no complaints for what you get for the money.

One thing I will tell you is they only send you 8 header bolts. They expect you to reuse 4 studs but I did not. I pulled the studs out and installed 4 bolts I had my local parts store order for me.

The last 2nd gen Ram I also installed these headers, drove the truck for 3 years and probably racked up 50k miles without any trouble. I always said I would take them off and coat them but I never did. The guy that bought that truck still has them on there 5 years later.

The performance gains might not be the same as the gibsons, but for the money you cant beat em!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Sorry, I have to pull a SHOTT here. They are Pacesetters

THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

Mine leaked too. Both sets. Several gasket tries each. Hours on a step ladder laying on the battery. Several skinned knuckles trying different gaskets thinking it was my fault they were leaking. By the time I realized the second set was a bad weld they were past the send back date and are in a dumpster.... So much for saving a few bucks......

Quick Reply: Summit Headers??