2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i kinda went for a swim

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 AM
KCHALR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i kinda went for a swim

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport.Well, a couple of month ago i was driving alittle to fast and I went around a blind curve and there was a dog in the middle of the road.Not thinking I served even thow my truck would have flattened it my rear end kick out and hit the gravel on the side of the road.My truck went completly side ways heading off a cliff so I cut the wheel hard my truck snapped back and right into a deep lake and sunk like a rock.It was fully submerged 30 feet under water.After we got it out and it dried for a month and I changed all the fluids I tried to start it and it fired right up.It is an automatic trans. but it wouldn't shift I had to shift it by my self.I was just happy it started.It was very slugish but after a couple of fluid changes I got some power back.I don't feel safe driving it far but I tried and nothing happened so I tried it again and it broke down.I cut off the cadilitic converter and it fired up.After awhile I tried driving about 15min. away and as I was going down the road it just died.After about 10min. of trying to start it it fired up and I took it home.I didn't have anymore trouble with it after that.Intill I tried to start it one day and it just turns over but wont start and shows 'no bus'.I've read alot about this but can't get a real straight answer.I've checked every thing but I can get it to do is sputer.I was woundering if anybody might know whats wrong considering what happened.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: i kinda went for a swim

sounds like the pcm is fried. damn im supprised it still works some what though damn.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 AM
ramchrgr88
Professional

first off, not to be mean, learn how to spell. its really hard to read something that long when everything is spelled wrong. its pretty bad. Secondly, dont swerve for animals. (i think you meant swerve). Thats just not smart, there could have been oncoming traffic, then you would have a huge problem on your hands. Thirdly, if the truck was running when it hit the water, im sure the electronics are all messed. Thats why you are having problems. The actual engine is obviously fine, but the ignition, computer, and all that good stuff could need some serious work. Take it to a dealer, and let them know how you messed up and have them run a few diagnostic tests on it to see what is wrong with it.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I would say you've probably got quite a few electrical issues concerning wiring and sensors. It takes a long time for wiring to dry out after something like that [&:] and some of the sensors may need to be replaced.

Glad everyone was okay though (from the sound of it anyway). That's kind of scary [&:]

Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 AM
KCHALR

I know I need to learn how to spell.Anyway the truck was left on when I jumped out.I had my lights on and they stayed on for about four hours.You could see them about 10 feet under.My airbag, seat belt, and check engine light stays on.I plan on getting two diagnostic tests next week.Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:49 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ramchrgr88

first off, not to be mean, learn how to spell.

Not to be mean?na just a dick..

Old 08-21-2006, 03:13 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

it may help an a nice hot sunny day to unplug all them harnesses under the hood and spary it with a special electrical connection cleaning spray... kinda like brake parts cleaner... dries really fast .. but theres alot less corrosives in it.. and then leave them ALL disconnected for a few hours to dry out.. that would be the first thing i would do... before spending money at the dealer for them to tell you "yea... damn trucks broke.."

Old 08-21-2006, 04:58 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

with it being submerged for that long, all the electronics are going to be soaked. assuming it was a fresh water lake you're lucky. if it was a salt water area you'd be in major trouble i'd be surprised if it even started again.

my guess is you've got rusted out electrical componets and you're going to need a full new wiring job at the least. probably need a new pcm.

if you can afford it i'd start shopping for a "new" truck.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

To answer your original question, "no bus" is usually a sign of a fried PCM Like shott said, unplug the wires, especially going to that and spray the cleaner in them. That stuff displaces water so it should get it out. If that doesn't help looks like a trip to the junk yard for a new PCM!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 PM
SaneMadMan

RamChrgr is right...never swerve for animals...It'll come down to your life or the life of an animal. Which one will you choose?
Also, for all you know, another car may have hit the dog right after you swerved off the road.

Quick Reply: i kinda went for a swim