2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default cross drilled rotors

for you fellas running crossed drilled front rotors.. was wondering if you have experienced any shaking/shimy-ing while stopping.

i am .. been trying to tweek the front brakes for a while now and still cant sim to shake the shake..

im also running EBC green stuff HD 6000 ceramic pads too..

Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cross drilled rotors

Check out the pads and rotors topic below this one. Demon did a pretty good write up on em.

Check it out ...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 AM
theshocker
Veteran

Hey shot I was thinking about getting the ebc green stuff pads for my truck. Would you recommend them? Heard alot of good things about them.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283

for you fellas running crossed drilled front rotors.. was wondering if you have experienced any shaking/shimy-ing while stopping.

i am .. been trying to tweek the front brakes for a while now and still cant sim to shake the shake..

im also running EBC green stuff HD 6000 ceramic pads too..
None at all. Rock solid. You know about them being my only brakes for the longest time, too. They're just cheapo JC Whitney rotors but, man, do they work. Not sure about the pads but they are ceramic (bought them local ... probably Raybestos).

What do you mean ... tweaking?

Track bar maybe?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 AM
shott8283

tweeking... meaning ive been taking down the front brakes a few times to make sure i have everything tight..put back together right.. good surfaces and no junk stuck in there some where.. my rotors are cheepys summit brand that were on clearence for 50 bux a peace 2 weeks ago...

EBC's are ok.. i had them off today and htey are chunking and cracking a little bit...i wasnt to happy seeing that... we will see... so far i dont think they are worth the price.. but then again my combination might not work well together.. ceramics are really nice for keeping that brake dust of my nice shiney allum wheels though...

i agree with the other thread though... it feels like i need more foot in the pedal to stop.. its wierd.. they also feel like ther enot grabbing.. with my old crappy regualar rotors and pads (autozones) my line lock would lock right up and had no problem holding... now i really gotta get into the pedal to build up enough pressure to have them to hold... i have no idea... i think my rotors are crappy... i geuss i pay for what i get... im still deciding to send these back and get powerstops ... still unsure...

the rear one tons are doing ok though... although i do need new shoes... they are almost gone.. but still grab decent.. locked the rear up once during a hard brake test when it was wet out.. felt the rear RWAL dump and its not a good feeling...

Old 08-23-2006, 02:47 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283

the rear one tons are doing ok though... although i do need new shoes... they are almost gone.. but still grab decent.. locked the rear up once during a hard brake test when it was wet out.. felt the rear RWAL dump and its not a good feeling...

RWAL is one of the scariest things ive experienced in my truck

just out of curiousity whyd you switch to drilled rotors? to shorten stoppin distance or to keep your brakes cooler?

....i guess both.... which one was a bigger deciding factor for you?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:50 AM
shott8283

well i really wanted ceramics.. b/c they are the lowest producing dust pad (from what i hear..and agree from what i see) and since my allum wheels are brand new and a BITCH to clean..and brake dust really tears the metal up and pits it really bad (chemical reaction) ... and since ceramics do produce alot more heat i figured i would help them out with some drilled rotors... so thats mainly what made me decide on what i have now... .

Old 08-23-2006, 05:25 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shott, are those EBC green pads? Hope not.
I wonder if the Summit rotors were balanced? Maybe the cause of the shake.

Ive never had an issue with my KVR crossdrilleds, did notice more peddle needed but not that bad. Ceramic/metalic pads have tons of life left (36k hard miles) as do the rotors but I will probably upgrade next year. Thinking diamond cut crossdriilled/slotted and EBC green pads. I can stand a bit more wear if it will stop the beast faster.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:05 PM
shott8283

yea the EBC's are the green stuff.. im not sure if its a ballencing issue... it only does the shaking when i get on the brakes... if im just driving it doesnt. it almost feels like the edges of the pads are "catching" on the ridges of the drilled holes,,, kinda like the chamfers arent done very well.. who knows..i think im gonna deal with it

Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

My rears work so well I can lock them at will. Just a good, hard stab at the pedal and they bark for a second and then dump. That's why I'm sweating the next time I see rain. I'd say I'm probably getting about 65-70% of my braking off the rears right now.

What sucks about this is I HATE working on drum brakes. Disks are a breeze. So now I'm gonna have to work on my drums every brake job ... instead of ... um ... never.

Quick Reply: cross drilled rotors