2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Homemade cold air intake????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:20 PM
chickendukie094
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade cold air intake????

i have a vision of one i'll like to do myself. dual outlets comming from the t\b out through the rubber wall on each side of the radiator. with two i'm thinking of using 2' conduit. i like the idea of ram air. any suggestions.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
jaikins3
Default RE: Homemade cold air intake????

no suggestions really... just wondering if when u get it made and figured out if you'll share it with us??? that sounds like a good idea....

Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

I've been thinking about a similar project. 2" tubing is pretty small. The cross section of two 2" tubes is only about half the area of ONE 4" tube. I'm planning to use two 4" tubes, and running them to the fog light holes. I'll have to eliminate the fog lights, of course. 4" tubing is going to be very tight, too.

Two 3" tubes would be a little bigger than one 4" tube, and would probably be all you really need. If you can fit 4", I'd go with that.

I'm thinking about fabricating an aluminum box on the T/B, with an oval K&N filter inside. Do you plan to put a filter on the T/B, or on the ends of the tubes?

Have you considered the Ram Air Box? www.ramairbox.com

Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
chickendukie094

Mike i just looked at that web site, and will look a little deeper into it, But for now i'm looking into the details of the air flow and trying to figure on how to create the same suction for both tubes. if one has less resistance the other would hardly suck at all. what i'm thinking is equal lenght tubes run completely to the throttle body. that brings us to the design of the box. my thought is somethig like a " Y " type fitting. oh yea two filters located out in front on both sides of the radiator behind the grill. All of this could be rapped up with some header tape or reflective insulation. whats your thought?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

Well, your idea is pretty much the same as what I first thought of doing. I've since decided to use one filter at the T/B, and two inlet tubes.

That link has a lot of pics and stuff that may give you some ideas. Click on "installs". Different system, but sort of similar idea. Just something to look at, that's all.

Most people say you can't get a real ram air effect. I think you may get a bit, if you put the filter after the tubing, at the T/B. I don't have any facts to back this up, and your idea may be better than mine. I'm not going to tell you what to do, I'm just in this for the "discussion". You may be able to modify a stock "air hat" to accept your tubing. Or, are you planning to fabricate something?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran

ive done this actually, i went to wally world, went back to the RV section and bought RV waste drain hose, its plastic flexible tubing and comes in differnt lengths, i bought the 12 foot length. i first cut a nice large hole in the rubber beside the radiator on the passenger side. then i guessimated the lenghts of the tubes i would use and cut to lengths the same size. I then shoved one end of each of the sections of the tubing i had into the stock intake plastic peice and ran the hose to the opening beside the radiator. I know, all this means nothing w/o pics, but i decided not to keep it as i didnt notice any difference. my .02

Steve-o

Old 08-27-2006, 08:55 PM
chickendukie094

One thing that is still wondering around in my head is also installing a tornado in the twin tubes. this is why i'm installing the filters out in front and not at the t\b.

Quick Reply: Homemade cold air intake????