2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

unidentified possible vaccum lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM
cattleman40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unidentified possible vaccum lines

On my 99 4x4 quad I have noticed to metal tubing type lines that run from the tranny to the front on the drivers side of the cat. The only thing I can figure is that the are some kind of vaccum lines 2 each side by side. These lines are cut as if someone done it intentionally. They have been cut and angled to the point to touch the cat. The truck runs like a top but it is kind of agitating everytime I get under there and look at them when I change the oil filter or for whatever reason. Any thoughts or responses would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran
Default RE: unidentified possible vaccum lines

do they look cut? are they other lines hanging around that look like they might have connected to the "cut" ones. i guess what im asking is do they look like they have been physically cut or do they look like they might have had something they attached to and the unforseen object is no longer attached?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has your front axle been altered in any way? Maybe manual hubs on the truck? Some guys remove the vacuum servo that would shift a collar to make the front axle live during 4x4 engagement. The 2 vacuum lines should come from the transfer case though. Look up and see if that's where they originate from.

I could be wrong. Sorry if I am.lol It's a mod I have seen several times in the past with Dodges. Guys replace the intermediate and outboard shafts with one solid piece. Once they do that, there is no need for vacuum lines up to the front anymore. Only other thought that comes to mind is the tranny cooling lines. Is there an aftermarket cooler anywhere? Take a pic if you get a chance.

Just a possibility.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

I just went out and looked at mine and I have a different question ... what diameter are they? I have 2 sets of pipes running from the tranny/xfer case ... one pair of fat ones on the left (cooling) and one pair of tiny ones on the right (4x4 command ... to the axle).

Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
cattleman40

The lines are small ones. they do look like the have been cut. the reason I say that is because they are cut on a perfect angle. As far as I can tell the front axle has not been altered. Don't have manual hubs. They are not tranny lines to small and everything in that department is still stock, with the lines going into the radiator. I don't know much about the four wheel drive aspect of the vehicle, seeing this is my first. I can work on pretty much on most of the rest of the truck but still learning transfer foward. I dont seem to have trouble going into 4 wheel but coming out it can be stubborn.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Aperture_Disaster

does the 4wd light up on the dash? those lines are most likely to your CAD thats the part that "locks the hubs". the part is 32$ at the dealer and it comes with both the rubber and metal lines. the lines they used get very brittle after awhile. look on the passenger side of the front axle you should see a weird device with two lines running from it.

hope this helps. had the same problem with mine

Quick Reply: unidentified possible vaccum lines