2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

JUNK Edelbrock Header Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Mopar528
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUNK Edelbrock Header Update

If you read my initial post regarding my new Edelbrock headers you would know that the collector was not fully welded to the primary tubes. After 2 hours on hold with Edelbrock I gave up and called Summit and they sent me a new set. After running the first set for about a day I noticed a small leak, I was running a set of Mr. Gaskets doubled up. So I ordered a SCE Copper Gaskets. When I installed them tonight and started the truck, and guess what, it still leaked. So I called summit and my new Gibson Stainless Steel Headers will be here on Wednesday.

So about Edelbock. I have had good luck with all of their products, except their headers. I don’t know what is going on in their quality assurance department but its not working. I know that because of this they have successfully lost my business in the future. But it is not just the poor quality of their headers that bothers me. The fact that I was on hold for 2 hours and did not get to speak with anyone is ridiculous, and on top of that they never responded to my email that I sent them. I am a couple weeks away from beginning a rebuild of a 440 and I can promise you that there will be no Edelbrock components on it.
Phil

Hopefully the Gibsons are as good as everyone talks them up to be.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: JUNK Edelbrock Header Update

hey another guy to join shott's i ****en hate edelbrock club

Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i feel for ya man... its a shame eddy is a sponser on this site.. and im with you... next time i build up a motor or need to buy motor parts... ill defenatly be looking ELSE where for parts... and when i get the cash back up im getting gibbys and cutting up these eddies for spare tubing

Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mopar528

.....After running the first set for about a day I noticed a small leak, I was running a set of Mr. Gaskets doubled up. So I ordered a SCE Copper Gaskets. When I installed them tonight and started the truck, and guess what, it still leaked.....
No offense dude, but it sounds like installation error to me.

If you only ran them for a day, and then again for what sounds like only a few hours after you installed the new copper gasket, then I doubt there is any problem with the header because you clearly did not do enough heating/cooling/tightenening for proper header installation and sealing. To properly install headers, it takes at least 3-4 days to do it correctly. You need to tighten them down, run the truck up to full normal operating temp, let it cool completely (and I mean completely, down to where everything is as cold as in the morning before first start up), tighten again, heat up again, etc... repeating for several (3 to 4) heating and cooling cycles over the course of a couple of days (because that's how long it takes for the metal to completely expand and contract). Then check them again in a couple of weeks. You can't just put them on, tighten them once and think they are good to go. No wonder they leaked on you. That's what they do when you only tighten them once.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Mopar528

I wasn't clear with that. I ran the Mr. Gaskets for over a full month. I tightened them I believe 6 times. I did make it sound like it was just a couple days. I put a few thousands miles on them before I went with the SCEs. I did just put the copper Gaskets on and I have tightened them 3 times as of tonight. And they still leak. I don’t see any reasons that those copper gaskets shouldn't have sealed up at this point. It isn't like I had a problem with Edelbrock before this. Like I have said before I have had good luck with their products in the past. I love the way the truck runs on the Edelbrocks. I just don't like that they leak.
Phil

Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have the edelbrocks, and so long as i keep them tight, they dont leak...in my expriences, they have struck me as being good headers...but you know me..i love my hookers!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 AM
shott8283

who doesnt love hookers? oh wait.. r we talking about the same thing here?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably...

Old 09-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Tani1500
Champion

im getting some hookers for mine.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM
shott8283

ok... so what are you gonna get for headers then tani?

Quick Reply: JUNK Edelbrock Header Update