2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TB whistle, I'm stumped.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: TB whistle, I'm stumped.....

ORIGINAL: phlash_riot

Was thinking about changing out to a fastman so i guess i will get a new gasket. Is it a stright fowrad install or do i have to take pieces off the old one and replace onto the new TB?
Dan (the fastman) sent me a new TB gasket with mine, although you could use a new gasket to go between the air box and the TB if you want.

You will have to take the sensors off the old TB and put them into the new one. However, he sends complete instructions, and the sensors plug into the new TB exactly how they were plugged into the stock one. He sends new hardware (bolts and all) with it as well. Took me approximately one hour to do because I was thinking it was more complicated than it really was, and was purposely going super slow so I wouldn't miss anything.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is 2 years old Mudbone

Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 AM
phlash_riot

Thanks for the replies.

There is no gasket between the TB and airbox however, i took the airbox off and manually turned the butterfly on the TB while cleaning it out with TB cleaner and it makes the whislting sound at a greater decible. the sound is definatleycomming out of the butterfly vlaves or further down inside the TB or intake manifold

i am thinking(guessing) that when i replaced the air filter i might have put some adnormal pressure on the TB and cracked theOLD(10 years 150K miles)gasket and caused a piece to come off and therefore make a reccess that when the air flows by it makes a whistle sound. I guess my main concern is if this is somthing that i should be concerned about causing any further issues. Mabye i will take the TB off this comming weekend and take a look. My ultimate gaol is a fastman after i decide which one i want to get. while i have the TB off is it a easy check for the plennum leak people are talking about?

the only thing that I am sure about is that it is comming from the TB or under the TB

On another note. when i rev the motor it seems to take a while before it comes back down to idle.. now the only thing that I have for comparison is my Trans Am with the LS1 engine, and that is a whole differant setup; but i dunno.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
ron333
Captain

I know mine was making a similar sound, but less of a whistle sound and more whooshing. It appears that it was the IAC valve was bad. I replaced it and the new one has allowed idle to be better, and most of the sound has gone. Sometimes when it still doesn't want to idle smoothly, and the engine seems to be trying to get up to speed (at idle) it will still make that sound, but it does it a lot less now with the new IAC. I suspect I have other issues causing it to do this, perhaps vacuum leaks in the rat's nest of vacuum tubing in there. I hope to be checking all of that out this week. Also, as for the IAC valve, I think I may have damaged mine when I took it out of the old TB and installed it in the FM TB. I cleaned it and removed a buildup of I don't know what from it and used brake cleaner to remove all residue, and I also gently tried to slide the plunger in it a little to ensure the cleaner got all remaining residue from it. In doing so I think I may have messed it up. I have read numerous times to NOT move the plunger while cleaning because it can cause it damage and it will fail. Unfortunately, I didn't read about that until after I already did it. Now I know better.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 AM
phlash_riot

Well i will keep that in mind but i was probably going to replace all of that with the fastman install anyhow. proably be a few month before i get to it though as I am in the Navy and going back to a Sub in less than a month

Quick Reply: TB whistle, I'm stumped.....