2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Axle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
catthead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle Noise

I have a 99 dodge 1500 4x4. Lately, I've heard kind of a clicking, metal grinding sound from my front axle. I replaced the cardinal joints on both sides and the hub assembly on both sides. Has anyone come across this as well? If so, how hard is it to dig in the front axle. I'm guessing it's a bearing in the differential case. Any ideas? thanks!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front Axle Noise

That sound is usually caused by a bad wheel bearing, but It could be a carrier bearing. Can you jack the front of the truck up and spin the tires by hand and see if you can hear any noises?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 AM
catthead

Yeah, when you jack the truck up you can hear the noise still. It's coming from the diff on the left side. It doesn't make the sound on the right.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Like the BurningRom said, it is probably the wheel bearing and from what you describe it is the left side with the issue. However, if metal is floating around the differential you probably want to replace both bearings and do as good of a cleanup of everything else that you can.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Noise