2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quad cab passenger door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad cab passenger door won't open

Does anybody know how to adjust the rear Quad cab doors? I have a 2001 Ram Quad cab (suicide doors) and can't get the passenger side rear door open without removing the screws that hold the handle in place. I think it just needs adjusted but I have not figured out how.

Modified the posting so it is now politically correct.

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35230/149755849F954D32B9562BD4002400BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: CLub cab passenger door won't open

thats because there is no rear door on a club cab [8D] lol no the proper name for that is a quad cab as in having 4 doors, a club cab is extended cab with 2 doors like i have. i have no idea how to help you but i though i would point that out

Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 AM
ARbowhunter7
Default RE: Quad cab passenger door won't open

I hear ya man. I'm having the EXACT same problem on my 2001, same door and all. I found out that if you put your shoulder to the door and push it in pretty good while you pull the handle then it'll open, at least on mine. You gotta do it at EXACTLY the same time or else it won't work though. It takes some practice to get it, but hell, now my girlfriend can even do it! I took all that crap apart a couple weeks ago and couldn't find anything that I could adjust or fix. Let me know what you find.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie

Even though the striker on the door (the "c" looking round metal rod that the latch hooks on too[latch is the mechanism in the door itself] ) looks like it can't be adjusted, they do adjust. They don't move much, but .5-1 millimeter makes a world of difference on a door latch. Just loosen the screws/bolts, and pull it outward while tightening them back up. Be sure to loosen the striker enough so it wiggles by hand, then pull it in the direction it needs to go, out to loosen the door up a bit, then tighten the fastners while continuing to apply pressure on the striker. I usually have to do this on vehicles with large rear hatch doors like the Hummers, but I've done it on all kinda of doors, and for me anyways, it works everytime. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 AM
kindigs

I have a 2001 2500 and also cant get the passenger side rear door to open. I took off the panel and handle but still cant get it to open. The top latch is working fine but the bottom one seems to be froze. Does anyone know how I can get the door open? Or does anyone know where I can find an eploded diagram of the latch so I can better understand how it works? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
sanddamaged
Default Problem fixed!

Hey all,

I had this same problem, so I took the the two torx head bolts off of the rear door latch and behind it were the linkages. I found one 5/16 bolt that was loose. This holds the linkages to the door latch assembly.

Tighten that bolt up but not too tight as it will bind up the linkages.

Problem solved.

My rear door now opens and functions as its suppose to.

Hope this helps someone else!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
garydwill
Default door wont open

Hey guys,
I had the same problem, take off the door panel . that requires the obvious like screws at door pull , start at top of door being careful pry off door panel it has plastic pop in fasteners, cut the clear plastic to get inside door,find the linkage its a 1/8 in solid rod for top and bottom latch, simply re bend it so it is shorter in length , it has a dog leg bend it there , check for it out to make sure it works before replacing panel,you will need to replace plastic fasteners , i got mine at auto zone 5 bucks take one to match up dont get the white ones they will be black ... ford ,dodge aplication replace then put panel on ......done deal

Quick Reply: Quad cab passenger door won't open