2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High End Torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: High End Torque

lol, that's almost exactly what the bmw setup looks like... they have the vanos system which advances the cam timing at a certain rpm. the vtech works the same way. the vtech curve looks pretty smooth, smoother than the bmw's. at 3000 or 3500 rpms, Iforget which, the bmw's vanos is activated and you'll see a bump in the torque curve.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High End Torque

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360
OK, looking back at the dyno sheets for my 325is, with all the mods I did to it, HP went up 8.1% and tq 11.3% (max gain). the peak torque before the mods was at approx 3500 rpms and remainded fairly flat until about 4900, then it started to drop off. after the mods the peak was shifted to the 4900 mark... at 3500 it was still climbing and became flat at about 4200 thru 4700 where it took off again.
That's a different animal though Different valvetrain...similar to the Vtech, which is a DOHC motor.

Like I said in my first post, the V10 and Diesel motors have a flat torque "curve". But even they still peak very low in the RPM band. It's harder to do that with a V8 motor as they're not natural torque monsters to begin with. That's why I said a cam is the easiest way to move your peak up in the RPM band. It won't necissarily make you a lot more torque...just move the peak around.

If torque is the goal, the best solutions would be either a blower setup or a V10/CTD swap...or custom built overhead cam heads with a computer setup that would advance the cam at certain points in the RPM band (can't even guess at the cost on that) [8D]. But he wanted to know the easiest solution, which is a cam.

Quick Reply: High End Torque