2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cataylic delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Brad426
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cataylic delete

That makes sense too. I think if you look at the ecnomics angle. Mopar would not design and manufacture anyththing they did not have to. Such as EPA compliant equipment (cataylics) and so on. So we as owners have to think of a way to "out think" the design to get all the bang for the buck we can. Burning Ran has discribed just what I want to avoid. If the simm makes the computer "THINK" all is well at the pre-cat O2 sensor that the computer has no idea that the cataylic converter is on the shelf in the shop. I was talking to the "boom car" guys in the shop about this. On of their buddies was dinged by the cops. The cop thought his "ride" was a bit loud so they pulled him over (here in Toronto) to just look. The discovered thjat there was not cataylic installed. They fined him and had his "ride"hooked". As the young guys say. I guess if you "gut" the catralic out then they just see it there and really don't look much furtrher. I would like to keep my stock cat for testing only. With as pair of 3", three bolt flanged I can change it out fast. I just don't want to get caught by the OPP. I was thinking of looking in the dumpster of the local muffler shop for a core catalic to make a fake. Gawd I'm really going down hill....LOL

Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Trifecta

I have a dilemma somewhat related to what you guys are discussing and hope someone might have some insights. I have a '98 2500 with 5.9L engine. I'm taking it to West Africa where only leaded gas is available. I'll take off the catalytic converter since the ceramic screen will only get clogged, but I'm unsure what to do about the oxygen sensor (not sure if there are one or two). I called the Dodge dealer and spoke to the senior mechanic and he said the truck wouldn't work on leaded gas - with or without 02 sensor and cat. I know this is nonsense since we have lots of American made cars in Liberia. But I am concerned that the o2 sensor will fry (some people say after just a few tankfuls of leaded gas) and the cat will definitely clog. But after reading all your posts now I am wondering what the computer will think without cat and sensor. Any suggestions?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Read two posts above yours (from The Burning Rom). The part where he says that Brad426 is correct about needing an o2 sensor simm after deleting the cat.

3 or 4 posts above that (by he and shott) have links for sensor simms.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

When I deleted my cat I also deleted the o2 sensors just to see what would happen. I have been running my truck this way for over a year. My gas mileage did go down slightly but has also gone up since adding other mods. All trucks are different my truck runs good and strong and still averages 15.5mpg on the highway and it hasn't cause any problems. To each his own you have to do what you think is right and what your truck prefers.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Trifecta

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll be shipping my truck in a few days. I'm sure I'll be back in contact once it arrives over in Liberia. One thing I've learned over in Africa: I might be a lousy mechanic but I'm all I've got! take care and thanks again.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Brad426
Professional

Good luck in Africa buddy. I would like to know how your truck does on the leaded fuel over there. I doubt you will have to get an emission test.....LOL.

I bought a pair of sims on e-Bay for the Ram. Just under $9.00 for two. They look very easy to install. I won't get them on till next spring but, I'll let you know what I find.

Lead isn't all that bad if your and engine. It lubicates and reduces detination. Aircraft fuel is full of it. We used to get a 130 Octane rated fuel at one time and we used it our cars. They started better at -30C in the winter. Some guys said it was bad for the valves and guides. I can't comment on that but my old 340 Swinger sure liked it. The "blue fuel" or "geen fuel" seemed to evaporate faster and drier. By that I mean it was not "oily" like car gas.

The other though I had was the effect of the extra lead on your O2 sensors. I didn't realize that most OEM's have a sensor service life in the 60-80K mile range. I don't think anyone wants to spend an extra $150.00 so I'd wait till the computer says something is in need of replacement. Safe journey in Africa.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Trifecta

Thanks much! I'll let you know how it turns out. I've ordered the sim and nex week before taking off I'll take out the cat. I'm debating whether to find an old one and punch it out which will leave me the hole to put the upstream sensor back in; or to weld in a straight pipe with the y to single conversion and tap a new hole. One way or another I think it's going to work. I'll have the only operational Dodge in Liberia and don't want to embarrass us Dodge lovers! My wife is staying back and keeping the brand new 2500 Cummins back here for herself in Virginia. Picked it out herself and loves it. Take care and good luck.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM
sc0tty8

Jegs has a y-pipe for 130$ that is more or less an off road pipe, I got a link on my other PC for magnaflow high flow cats and y-pipe, thats 150$.

Right now, I am leaning more towards the offraod pipe, and keeping the rest of the exhaust system stock, removinf the cats alone with the y-pipe should really wake it up, and, at the same time make it louder. Thats the boat I am in...

Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Brad426
Professional

Hi guys, Well it's been awhile and I wanted to bring you up to date. I started the truck on the wekend with the new exhaust system. Here's what I have. Short header into the stock "Y" pipe, 2" from the "Y" is the first three bolt flange conector. Then into a 3" Aeroturbine and then a Aero resenatore. Then straight out to the stock tail pipe. 3" all the way. I installed the two stock o2 sensors in the same place but, there is no Cat now. It sounds awsome. At low rpm it is quite quiet but, when you put you foot into it, it barks like a 340 with cherry bombs. I'm inpressed with the Aeroturbine. So far so good.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
flintspirit
Professional

I just punched mine out on my 96 and has been fine for 5 years or so.I live near the ocean and all the lobster boats are runnin straight pipe so the gray owls are screwed any ways.Besides if you can't eat em.....

Quick Reply: Cataylic delete