2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug sleeve question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug sleeve question...

I am planning on replacing my spark plugs and wires soon but I noticed that the metal sleeve for the plug on cylinder #3 was bent (kind of crushed in a little and oval). I havent tried to pull the plug out yet but can this sleeve be replaced at all or is it a part of the block? If it can be replaced, would anybody happen to know a part number for it? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Spark plug sleeve question...

Asfar as I know most people just get some vice grips and rip them out totally and leave them off. Dirt collects in them and when you take the plugs out it falls in the hole. RIP IT OFF

Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

I bet the plugs would be easier to change with them off. So I just bend them off with a set of vice grips? How are they attached to the block?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

The sleeves are just pushed into the block. However, they can be a real bit*&$% to get out. It took two of us about 20 minutes to pull mine from my old engine when I replaced it. I like the sleeves because they protect the spark plug boots from the head and header heat. However, if you are doing a lot of off-roading and muddin I agree that they would be dirt collectors.

Quick Reply: Spark plug sleeve question...