2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 AM
silver bulllit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think?

So looks like I have to wait for another couple of years to get my diesel that I want so I am gonna get some goodies for my old girl to make her seem new. I am starting with new exhaust,cold air intake and gonna get a chip which is where my questions start....when I look up my truck 99 ram 5.2 it shows me either a chip for a 3 pin harness or a 4 pin harness how do I find out which I need? Also for the cold air intake do these replace your air filter box or mount on it? Feel free to give me any input on the above items as well as do you think I will regret the chip as I will have to run premium fuel. One more thing my tranny is starting to act kinda weird when this becomes an issue what to do rebuild if so who can I trust or look for an aftermarket one? It's an auto and got 205,000 km's on it(roughly 130 000 miles for you americans)

Thanks in advance for any input guys
Craig

Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 AM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: What do you think?

This will probably **** you off but all of your questions could have been answered by looking at the first 2 pages of the second gen forum. Anyways, don't waste your money on a chip, nothing but trouble. Get a Hypertech or a Superchips programmer. If you get a drop-in K&N filter (waste of money) it will go in the stock air box but the CAI completely replaces your stock air intake system. Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Hello Craig and welcome to the forum.

Tranny: Have you had it serviced? (Flushed, bands adjusted, filter, etc.) I've got 234,000 kms and tranny still runs good but it needs regular servicing.

Chip: As silverram said it's a waste of money. The PCM learns it's way around it. If you want to go that way you'll want to look into a hypertech or Superchips programmer

CAI: The cold air intake completely repalces the stock box. K&N makes a good one as does S&B, but since you in Cananda like you might want to check out a Ram Air Box (I love the idea of no duty or brokerage fees). http://www.ramairbox.com/

Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 AM
silverram99
Captain

Heres what the S&B kit I installed on my truck looks like. I think the pictures on the second page of the thread but there is alot of good information in that thread from a bunch of people.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_558506/tm.htm