2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head light switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light switch

I started smelling a burnt wire smell last night on my way home and then my head lights stopped working. [:@] I called a couple of salvages and they say that hooking up trailer lights will do this the the head light switch.

My question is before I pay for a new switch is there any ideas to make this better?

Thanks
Brad
(specs in sig)

Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Head light switch

I would have thought that your fuse would have blown first, but I am not really electircally inclined. I would bet there is more to your problem than just that.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solution is to relay the headlights. That factory switch has almost 100% of it's max ampere rating flowing through it. Have you had the highbeams go out on you yet while your driving? It's a poor setup. Do you have a trailer hitch? If so, is it factory installed? If trailer wiring was added later, it may very well be the cause of your problems. But if it's a factory wiring job, then I say the problem is the headlight switch has done it's time.

Like I said, relay the headlights if they aren't already. That takes all the headlamp load off the switch and onto a relay. And a relay is designed for heavy loads.

If you would like detailed instructions, I can probably whip something up.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

i dont know much about this. i do know its a semi-common problem i guess. one of my buddies had a 96 1500 and he was on his 2nd or 3rd headlight switch. he ended up rigging it up and he had to plug wires in for his lights to come on. it was a pretty ghetto set up. i would ask him exactly how he had it done, but unfortunately he passed away in a motorcycle accident.

on the flip side, sorry im not much help. but im curious about your tires. how much did they cost? how is the wear? are they noisy? how is the ride/handling? how are they in different types of weather? i see you only have a 2 wheel drive so im assuming you dont have snow where you are. unfortunately im in CT and we get some snow. just curious if u could fill me in. also what size do they work out to be in inches? 31? 33? and how wide? 10.5? 12? thanks guy

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I helped a buddy replace his on a 96 that never pulls a trailer. His just quit working. As said before it may have reached it's life expectancy. The trailer issue is usually from the running light circuit in the switch. With the extra lights, it will reach it's capacity. A trailer should not affect the headlight circuit.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

The solution is to relay the headlights. That factory switch has almost 100% of it's max ampere rating flowing through it. Have you had the highbeams go out on you yet while your driving? It's a poor setup. Do you have a trailer hitch? If so, is it factory installed? If trailer wiring was added later, it may very well be the cause of your problems. But if it's a factory wiring job, then I say the problem is the headlight switch has done it's time.

Like I said, relay the headlights if they aren't already. That takes all the headlamp load off the switch and onto a relay. And a relay is designed for heavy loads.

Good luck.
I would be interested in this. Perhaps you can draw a diagram and write up some instructions to be posted in the FAQ? I have the factory wiring for a trailer setup and plan on using it.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 AM
heymccall

Call you Dodge dealer and get the upgrade for the headlamp switch and wiring which includes the necessary relay and, most importantly, directions on how to put it in. I don't remember it being difficult or time consuming. Ask their service dept for the flat rate time on it while your there.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

I did call the dealership and they do make a switch that has something on the back of it. They said it was to fix the problem I am having.

DieselDemon I would like to know more about what you did....I read in a past write up on what you did but it was not very detailed.

Thanks
Brad

Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 AM
heymccall

The revised switch assembly will come with everything already set up the same as what diesel demon did. If the instruction aren't in the kit box, have the dealer print you a copy. mine all came with.

As far as the problem, it is the parking lamps that cause the failure. Every 12v bulb in the parking lamp circuit draws 1.5 amps. Count your bulbs on the park brake circuit and multiply by 1.5. And then remember that the switch is built with contacts rated for no more than 20amp continuous. Thanks, Dodge.[:@]

Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Good luck.
That should be an internet sticky for just about any electrical application in a vehicle. Although, I would relay the trailer wiring since it's an add-on instead of the headlights.

Quick Reply: Head light switch